Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A question about a type of Bios

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 NuckenFutz

NuckenFutz

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 23 December 2010 - 01:52 AM

I was wondering if there was a bios out there that can boot ANY OS. Like slax, EVERY WINDOWS EDITION, Linux, MAC etc. I basically want my PC to be able to boot any OS out there but is there a bios that can do that? I know some new PC's that run windows 7 can't run XP unless you put a different bios on there soo.....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,667 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 23 December 2010 - 05:30 AM

A standard IBM PC compatible BIOS can boot any operating system that the computer can natively run. Any OS that runs on IBM compatible hardware is started by a bootloader whose first instruction resides at a fixed location and running the code at that location is the only thing the BIOS needs to do to start the OS booting. Then the bootloader code is responsible for loading and initialising the OS, whether it's any Windows version, Linux, OS/2 or whatever. An OS that cannot run natively on the hardware needs an extra layer of emulation to be set up, this is not the role of a BIOS.

I'm not aware of any situation where a Windows 7 computer would be unable to run Windows XP without a different BIOS, can you provide any illustrations of this?

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,230 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2010 - 08:05 AM

Sounds to me as if you are referring to bootloader files...as a "BIOS".

With multiple O/Ses, the bootloader is the only thing that may change...the BIOS does not.

Louis

#4 NuckenFutz

NuckenFutz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2010 - 08:50 PM

I was just reading an article but I guess the information was wrong because I read up more about boot loaders and it totally contradictorily of what the article was telling me

And I guess I am going to look into a boot loader that can boot any OS and handle a lot of them, Thanks guys

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users