Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"reboot and select proper boot device" problem

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 fixneeded

fixneeded

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 22 December 2010 - 11:53 PM

I recently purchased a computer from a i buypower. As I plugged it in and pushed the start button, an error came up saying PXE-E61: Media test failure, Check cable. I've looked and tried different solutions that were suggested online such as changing BIOS booting sequence and re-plugging in the cables that led from my hard drive to the motherboard. After re-arranging the Hard drive wire to different motherboard slots, a new error came up saying "reboot and select proper boot device". I'm wondering if this problem is caused by a defected hard drive? Here is a little background info on the computer.

Processor(Intel® Core™ i5 760 Processor (4x 2.80GHz/8MB L3 Cache)
Motherboard(ASUS P7P55D-E LX -- Intel P55 Chipset w/ 8-ch HD Audio, Dual-Channel DDR3, Gb LAN, 1x PCI-E 2.0 x16)
Power Supply(600 Watt -- Standard)
Primary Hard Drive(1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 64M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive)

Also, this computer was pre-built so windows7 was supposedly already installed on the HD.

Edited by fixneeded, 22 December 2010 - 11:57 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 23 December 2010 - 12:04 AM

I recently purchased a computer from a i buypower

Brand new, under warranty?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 fixneeded

fixneeded
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2010 - 12:09 AM

I recently purchased a computer from a i buypower

Brand new, under warranty?

Yes, I just got it today and wanted to find an alternative way of fixing it besides sending it back to the factory for a good 2-3 weeks.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2010 - 12:23 AM

It looks like some more complicated issue.
I don't even want to speculate and say anything, which could void your warranty (if you already didn't do it by monkeying around).
Call them first thing in the morning.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 fixneeded

fixneeded
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2010 - 12:55 AM

It looks like some more complicated issue.
I don't even want to speculate and say anything, which could void your warranty (if you already didn't do it by monkeying around).
Call them first thing in the morning.

Will do, thanks for the advice

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2010 - 12:59 AM

You're very welcome Posted Image

My Website

p4433470.gif

#7 fixneeded

fixneeded
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2010 - 01:18 AM

I've just discovered that shipping the computer back to the company will cost me $65 dollars. Say I just want to fix the computer myself even if it voids the warranty, what can I do?

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2010 - 01:24 AM

Personally, I won't even say a word.
Maybe someone else would be willing, but not me.
I don't want to cause anything what would cost you more than 65 bucks, if it doesn't work.

I think, that 65 buck is unreal, to see the least.
65 bucks for brand new computer, which you can't even turn on?
I suggest, you call them, talk to a supervisor and give him a hell of his life.
This is simply ridiculous.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#9 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,046 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 23 December 2010 - 03:24 AM

G'day.....WHO did you say you bought it from????? We need their NAME up in BIG capital letters......so we know then who NOT to buy from......I suggest you tell them about this post....write down the links address.....and send it to them. They should just about turn cartwheels to MAKE SURE a GOOD ending appears to your story,given the widespread publicity this will attract .

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2010 - 09:50 AM

Those PXE error messages...indicate that the system is trying to do a network boot.

This is often the default set in the BIOS.

Sometimes, a failing CMOS battery will make the BIOS revert to defaults.

I would enter the BIOS...check the boot options, see if I can set the system to boot from the hard drive...save the settings in BIOS...and see what happens.

If the boot option doesn't remain on the hard drive...I would replace the CMOS battery.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users