Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems With Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 distressingdamsel

distressingdamsel

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 06 December 2005 - 10:40 AM

I've been following the tutorial to get rid of Winfixer and a couple of other unwanted programs, but the tutorial tells me that I have to reboot in safe mode. I reboot the computer, press F8, select "safe mode", and it takes me to the start-up screen, then to the place where you click on the profile that you want. I click on my own, and the screen goes black. It says "safe mode" in each bottom corner, and there's a long line of text at the top of the screen, and that's it. It doesn't move from there. Is there something (else) wrong with my computer, or am I doing something wrong?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 handplane

handplane

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 06 December 2005 - 11:12 AM

Here's another way to get into Safe Mode:

To use the System Configuration Utility method

Close all open programs.
Click Start, Run and type MSCONFIG in the box and click OK
The System Configuration Utility appears, On the BOOT.INI tab, Check the "/SAFEBOOT" option, and then click OK and Restart your computer when prompted.
The computer restarts in Safe mode.
Perform the troubleshooting steps for which you are using Safe Mode.
When you are finished with troubleshooting in Safe mode, open MSCONFIG again, on the BOOT.INI tab, uncheck "/SAFEBOOT" and click OK to restart your computer

#3 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 06 December 2005 - 11:53 AM

Try logging on as administrator when you go into safe mode rather than your own account. If that doesn't work, you may need to do a repair on windows.

#4 miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Killer Dog

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 06 December 2005 - 11:56 AM

distressingdamsel, this is a common issue when winfixer is present, so don't worry. This is because your explorer crashes in safe mode (because of the infection), leaving you with a black background.
The fix also works in normal mode.
AntispywareScanners---Antivirus Scanners---Firewalls---Online Scanners---Prevention---Help! My computer is slow---My Blog---Follow me on Twitter.
My help is ALWAYS FREE, but if you want to donate to help me continue my fight against malware -- click here!
Asking for help via Private Message or Mail will be ignored - So If you need help, post your problem in the forum.

#5 distressingdamsel

distressingdamsel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 07 December 2005 - 11:56 AM

All right, so I got the safe mode to work, and I ran all the programs like I was supposed to, but the files that the tutorial says should be there, aren't. I know I have winfixer, because I keep getting its popups. Does anyonw know what's wrong?

#6 miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Killer Dog

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 07 December 2005 - 12:02 PM

Can you post a hijackthislog please? Because on every system, those files are different, so that's why you couldn't find the files.

Please read this topic first: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

Then start a new topic here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/ with your hijackthislog. :thumbsup:
AntispywareScanners---Antivirus Scanners---Firewalls---Online Scanners---Prevention---Help! My computer is slow---My Blog---Follow me on Twitter.
My help is ALWAYS FREE, but if you want to donate to help me continue my fight against malware -- click here!
Asking for help via Private Message or Mail will be ignored - So If you need help, post your problem in the forum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users