Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

sisraid4.sys is corrupt, Vista fails to boot

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BobLoblaw

BobLoblaw

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 22 December 2010 - 10:13 PM

Compaq Laptop, Vista w/ Service Pack 1.

Upon turning on my PC last night, I was unable to load Windows. After the initial boot up, I was taken to a windows repair (I think that's what it was). It ran a bunch of tests and tried to repair the problem. At the end it said it was unable to be repaired. There was a dialog box that would allow me to open Windows Recovery, but I chose not to because I didn't know if that would erase all of my documents and files. Anyways, at the end of the tests I checked the log and I could only see one thing that failed.

Boot Cause Found:
Boot Critical File: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\sisraid4.sys is corrupt

I also found this.

Event Name: StartupRepairV2
Signature 1: Autofailure
Signature 2: 6.0.6000.16386.60.6001.1800
Signature 3: 3
Signature 4: 196611
Signature 5: Corrupt File
Signature 6: Corrupt File
Signature 7: 3221225624
Signature 8: 3
Signature 9: WroRepair
Signature 10: 6.0.6000.2.0.0256.1
Signature 11: 1033

I also am unable to boot into Safe Mode. At the loading screen where it shows all the files being loaded, it stops at sisraid2.sys and takes me back to the repair screen. I'd like to know if I can fix this somehow without losing data. If not, is it possible to make the HDD into an external so I can just copy everything to another computer?

One last thing, I can't remember the name of it, but isn't there a version of Linux that can be run from a cd? Would this allow me to check and see if all of my data is ok?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keny111111

keny111111

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 23 December 2010 - 05:56 AM

there are many versions of linux that have a "live" cd, here is a great tutorial with all the info.. http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/

once into windows, try running the sfc /scannow from cmd prompt, see if it can repair the bad file..

is there more than one hdd on this computer? see if this helps 1st http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

good luck
Have A Great Day

...........Kenny.............

#3 BobLoblaw

BobLoblaw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2010 - 03:16 PM

Thanks for the reply, I will try the Ubuntu cd and move all of my files to an extenal drive. However, I am unable to to get into Windows, even through safe mode, so I cannot try and repair the file from the cmd prompt. There is also not another HDD since it is a laptop.

#4 keny111111

keny111111

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 23 December 2010 - 07:15 PM

once you get all your data off in a safe place, you can try the recovery ...there may be a "non distructive" option where it would put all your files and folders into a folder called "windows old"

one other thing, the title is sisraid4.sys is corrupt, in your 1st post you say sisraid2.sys....which one is it..don't really matter either way just curious

do you have a vista disk or a recovery disk? you may be able to repair from one of them.

good luck and let us know how you get along..
Have A Great Day

...........Kenny.............

#5 BobLoblaw

BobLoblaw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2010 - 11:22 PM

I only have DVDs that I had to create when I first got the laptop since Vista was already installed. I believe they were recovery discs.

When the startup repair finished it's scan, the log said sisraid4.sys is corrupt but when I try to boot into safe mode, it freezes when trying to load sisraid2.sys and takes me back to startup repair.

Anyways, I'll probably just end up buying an external drive and use Ubuntu to copy all of my files if I can't find a solution. I appreciate the help so far.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users