Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't find hard drive and clicks on boot up

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 vrhead2000

vrhead2000

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 22 December 2010 - 10:01 PM

We have a PC running Windows XP that won't boot up now. A message saying it can't find the hard drive instead. Press F1 or F2 to go to set up. I can't remember it all right now. It sounds like the hard drive clicks twice and then tries to start, then clicks twice again. Then the messages. Does this sound like the HD is dead? Any solution to get it going again? Fortunately I should have a backup of the disk and we do most of our work off of the server. So we shouldn't lose too much data. I would just like an easy way to get back up and running.

Thanks,

Jim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CohenTheBarbarian

CohenTheBarbarian

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 23 December 2010 - 10:12 AM

I'm afraid that drive is in all likelihood dead as a doorknob, amigo.

There's a problem with some (much) older drives were the platters are actually stuck and won't spin up, and a bit of (gentle) ehrrmm... force would get them going again, but I wouldn't expect that in a modern system.

Clicking is never, ever a good sign. You could try freezing the drive, or moving it around just a bit, and seeing if you can get it to boot, but a quick fix will be just that and your drive will fail again before too long.

In short - I'd replace it.

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 23 December 2010 - 02:10 PM

If it is clicking it is a malfunctioning drive and time to replace it.

You could actually try freezing it. Odd as it sounds, it might work long enough for you to get your data off of it.
Years ago I used to work for what was then a major computer company. They shipped a bunch of bad drives that would stick and not spin up. Freezing the drive was the solution.

Dont ask me how or why it worked, but it did.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#4 vrhead2000

vrhead2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 23 December 2010 - 02:57 PM

Thanks for the replies. I was out of the office this morning and that hard drive was just one of the problems. The server running Windows SBS 2003 went down. Something to do with the updates. Anyway a real computer tech was called in because I wasn't here (thank god) and he's taking the PC with the clicking hard drive to replace the HD. He fixed the server also. I need to get out of the IT dept. Not my full time job. thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users