Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with hard drive install

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Daegan Xavier

Daegan Xavier

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 22 December 2010 - 07:57 PM

Recently, our hard drive developed several errors, and we decided to replace it. We got a 500GB SATA hard drive, which we were able to install and get Windows installed.

During install, however, I had not plugged in the SATA data cable, and the install was tried on some unknown drive which it claims has approx 1TB of space. Install failed on this drive repeatedly.

Once I realized my error and plugged in the data cable, all went swimmingly - except that my new hard drive is drive E:, and this aforementioned unknown drive is drive C. There are remnants of the unsuccessful install (empty Windows folder hierarchy) in there, but nothing else.

This raises several questions for me:
1) What is this drive? The old hard drive was 160GB, and is no longer plugged into the computer. The new one is 500GB, and is found (as E:).
2) Can this be removed? Since we're early in the install process, it wouldn't be long to change it to C: and reinstall Windows.

Many thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Daegan Xavier

Daegan Xavier
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2010 - 08:34 PM

Now my face is red.

Shortly before we installed the new hard drive, we bought an external hard drive for backups... guess the size, anyone? That's right, 1TB. That's the drive that it was trying to install to.

However, my question still applies for renaming the hard drive - my system hard drive is E:, and I'd like it to be C: (I know that technically it makes no difference, but I'm just very very used to it being that way).

Can someone walk me through the steps of reassigning the letter of a system drive?

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 22 December 2010 - 09:02 PM

What version of windows? You should be able to go into disc management and change the drive letter without to much of a hassle, however the method of getting there varies between windows varients. Microsoft likes to keep hiding things.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 Daegan Xavier

Daegan Xavier
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2010 - 10:06 PM

Win XP SP3. I can indeed get into disk manager to change drive letters, but since the drive in question is the system drive, Windows doesn't want me to do it. From what I read elsewhere it can be done (renaming the disk to C:), but the best (ie safest) way to do so is to uninstall, reformat the drive as C:, and then reinstall all afterwards. I'm looking for some pretty clear step-by-step instructions for that.

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 22 December 2010 - 11:25 PM

Well, if you got the time and its already a fresh install, cant hurt to do that-have done that myself (Reinstalled windows after installing it) just go into your BIOS and set it to boot of cd/dvd, insert system disk and let it go (make sure your external drive is disconnected this time) and choose where you want to install windows, and it should set it up as a C partition by default. Now I say should, this is windows we are talking about here. . .

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,251 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2010 - 09:41 AM

The only way to change the drive letter for the system partition...is to remove/disconnect all superfluous drives, attach the drive with Windows (along with the optical drive)...and then do a repair install of XP.

Changing the letter assigned any other partition is easy and done via Disk Management.

Well...it's not the only way, you could always do a clean install and achieve the same effect.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users