Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Installer in continuous loop...continuous loop...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ascoredhat

ascoredhat

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 22 December 2010 - 06:42 PM

I've got a problem I just can't see any way of fixing.

My son's Acer Aspire laptop is about a year old and has worked just fine. Recently he decided he needed to free up more room on the hard drive and figured he would uninstall some components from his Microsoft Office Standard Edition 2003. Not sure exactly what he took out, but now the computer is in a continuous, never-ending loop of:

The Windows Installer box comes up saying "Preparing to install...". It seems to "flash", like it starts to go off then pops up again. Several times.

Then a box comes up saying:
Microsoft Office Standard Edition 2003
Installing Error: File not found
A required installation file SKU112.CAB could not be found.
Original installation source required.

It says to to browse for the source, so I put in the CD and choose it, but then the following box comes up:
"Error 25091: Set up failed to change the source"

When I cancel ANY of the boxes I mentioned above, the "Windows Installer Preparing to install" pops right back up again. Hit cancel on it and it pops right back. Again and again. It never goes away.

Sometimes a box comes up saying:
Please wait while windows configures Microsoft Office Standard Edition 2003"
But the progress bar never budges. Left it up 24 hours even.
Then I cancel that and - yep - the Windows Installer preparing to install jumps back into its loop.

I tried to uninstall the Office, but it won't let me. The box that says it's preparing to remove files switches to the "Windows Installer preparing to install" and back to the can't find the SKU112.CAB.

And on and on it goes. I've tried fixes I've found online that say to download the file or things supposed to fix, but they won't install. Because the Windows Installer is stuck like a scratched record.

And putting in the original Office CD doesn't do any good either (as explained above).

So I am as stuck as that stupid laptop. Whatever is the issue it makes it so the windows installer won't install or uninstall anything.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any kind assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 22 December 2010 - 08:30 PM

Is the computer operable at all?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2010 - 10:45 PM

Do a 'repair' install http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html He's obviously done something wrong.

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#4 ascoredhat

ascoredhat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2010 - 11:20 PM

Thanks for replying. :) (sorry I didn't respond sooner... Christmas and all)

@Broni ... yes, the computer is operable. Though the installer loop does slow it down and makes me think it's frozen when I click on something, such as firefox, and it takes a while sometimes before "bing" it pops up. So I'm at least able to do stuff on the computer (though the continuous popping up of the preparing to install window is a pain). Well, except install things. Which makes me wonder if the window 7 repair will work since putting in the office disk was useless since it won't install, re-install, uninstall... nothing. I guess since all that has to do with windows installer and that seems to be the crux of the problem.

And you are right Jacee. He definitely did something wrong. I can only guess that perhaps he somehow deleted some shared file or something.

And I will try the repair... um, if my son can remember where the heck he put his windows 7 disk. Sigh. Looked everywhere, but it has to be SOMEWHERE. Just curious, would any windows 7 disk work? In other words, if I borrowed one from someone else, even though it's a different serial number, would it at least do the repair thingie?

Thanks!

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,612 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2010 - 11:31 PM

Borrowed DVD should work, but I'd try system restore first.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#6 ascoredhat

ascoredhat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2010 - 10:53 PM

Thanks, Broni.

I tried the system restore, but unfortunately it only went back to 12/24/10, which was about a week after the problem first came up. So, I did it anyway, which I guess was a bit futile as it just restored it to where the problem was already there. Ah well.

So would the next step be to do a "repair" off a Windows 7 disk? Does that put back in missing files like the SKU112.CAB?

#7 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,612 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2010 - 11:24 PM

Repair should reinstate all files needed by Windows.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#8 ascoredhat

ascoredhat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2010 - 01:44 PM

Success!! We found the missing Windows 7 disk and did a repair and everything is fixed and back to normal.

Thank you very much for your help!!

#9 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,612 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2010 - 05:09 PM

Great news !!

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users