Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird Folder Behavior In Win 7

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 22 December 2010 - 04:22 PM

I have a weird thing happening with my folder settings in Windows 7. I've set Windows to always show hidden files and folders, and to always show file extensions for known file types. For some reason, every few days, these settings revert to the defaults, which is to not show hidden files and folders, and to not show file extensions.

Does anyone have any idea as to why this might be happening?

Edited by MelissaPleases, 22 December 2010 - 04:23 PM.

Snowden03.png

~   Notorious Thread Killer   ~
Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Full ATX | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X | CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB 512-Bit | PSU: EVGA 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 SDRAM [4x8GB] Audio: Integrated Creative Sound Core 3D 5.1 | Internal Storage: Samsung 2 TB HDD | Seagate 1 TB HDD | Samsung 500GB SSD [x2] | Mushkin 500GB SSD | External Storage: Seagate 2TB | Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS324 Dual Layer

Display 1: AOC I2757Fh 27" | Display 2 & 3: LG 24MP57HQ-P 24" | Operating Systems: OS 1: Windows 10 Professional | OS 2: Linux Mint Cinnamon | OS 3: Windows 7 Ultimate x-64 | Antivirus: MS Security Essentials | Firewall: Windows Firewall

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2010 - 12:30 PM

No clue. I have hidden files/folders set to be not shown and file extensions off.

How often do you reboot? Does a reboot correspond to the setting reverting back?
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 PolaBar

PolaBar

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 24 December 2010 - 03:33 PM

Do a thorough malware scan. I have seen infections that exibit this behavior. They do this to mask the fact that they have changed a common file name to an executable in hopes that you will click on it unaware.

#4 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2010 - 08:32 PM

@ keyboardNinja: It doesn't seem to correspond to reboots, that I've noticed. I generally only reboot after program installations or when necessary after updates.

@ PolaBar: I'll do that immediately and report back. Sneaky SOBs...

Snowden03.png

Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Full ATX | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X | CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB 512-Bit | PSU: EVGA 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 SDRAM [4x8GB] Audio: Integrated Creative Sound Core 3D 5.1 | Internal Storage: Samsung 2 TB HDD | Seagate 1 TB HDD | Samsung 500GB SSD [x2] | Mushkin 500GB SSD | External Storage: Seagate 2TB | Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS324 Dual Layer

Display 1: AOC I2757Fh 27" | Display 2 & 3: LG 24MP57HQ-P 24" | Operating Systems: OS 1: Windows 10 Professional | OS 2: Linux Mint Cinnamon | OS 3: Windows 7 Ultimate x-64 | Antivirus: MS Security Essentials | Firewall: Windows Firewall

#5 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2010 - 09:14 PM

Well - children are in bed, anxiously trying to sleep so that tomorrow morning will get here as soon as possible. And I am learning a valuable lesson...

I just downloaded and installed Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software. I'm running a full scan, but at this point, it's telling me that it's found 10 infected objects. AVG never picked anything up when I was using it, and Avira has also not noticed anything amiss. The moral: Don't rely on one software solution for protection from this stuff. I'll let you know what the final scan results are when it's done.

Snowden03.png

#6 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2010 - 10:26 PM

Okies - below is the result of a full scan by MalwareBytes. In doing some research into each of the items listed, I've found that the Malware.Trace item, at least, may be difficult to get rid of. At this point, I'm going to leave everything alone, and ask for advice from everyone here on what to do next.

Posted Image

Snowden03.png

#7 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2010 - 11:24 PM

Oh, goodie...

Time for the canned speech. :)

Please follow the instructions in ==>This Guide<==.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<== Please include the link to this topic in your new topic and a description of your computer issues and what you have done to resolve them.

If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the new topic and explain what happens when you try to create the log(s) that you couldn't get. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then still post the topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happens when you try to create the logs.

Once you have created the new topic, please reply back here with a link to the new topic.

Also, keep in mind that help will likely be delayed more than usual due to the holidays.

Merry Christmas and good luck!
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#8 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 25 December 2010 - 12:26 AM

Using Malwarebytes Antimalware "Remove selected" button, remove everything found in the scan: Reboot the computer.

You have two options available to you then:

:step1: Post the MBAM log (with a link to this topic) in the Am I infected? What do I do? forum.

The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM. Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.

or

:step2: Follow the advice of keyboardNinja and post in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum.

I personally would suggest posting in the "Am I Infected?" forum, since there is nothing evident in your screenshot that can't be dealt with there.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#9 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2010 - 05:50 PM

I followed all instructions, and the results are posted in THIS thread.

Snowden03.png

#10 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,949 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 26 December 2010 - 09:56 PM

Hello,

Now that you have posted a log here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic369439.html you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a MRT Team member, nor should you ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show in the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the MRT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the MRT Team members are EXTREMELY busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the MRT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another MRT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

Please be patient. It may take several days to get a response but your log will be reviewed and answered as soon as possible. I advise checking your topic once a day for responses as the e-mail notification system is unreliable.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic. Good luck with your log.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users