Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New computer(s) totally LOCK up randomly

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 techforcity

techforcity

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 22 December 2010 - 04:15 PM

Ok, so our company purchased (6) HP p6540f desktop computers to upgrade the IT department computers. We purchased a program called Acronis True Image Home 2011 with the Plus Pack which lets us take an image from a computer and install it on another computer with dissimilar hardware.

The computer originally came with Windows 7 Home Premium, but we imaged them with Windows XP Pro images. Now for some reason, when we are randomly using the computer, it completely locks up and we can't do anything (not even control alt delete). We have to power the computer down by holding the power button and that's the only way it will restart.

Keep in mind that we are using different images on the computer so if it was a corrupt version of Windows we would only get it with one image.

It seems to be happening more often when we are in a Microsoft Office program (especially Outlook) but this might seem this way since we use these programs more than most in our company.

The thing is, the computer will go a couple days without freezing, and then another day it will freezing 2,3, maybe 4 times. I have turned off Windows updates, and took everything out of the task scheduler so that is out of the question to cause the problem.

Can someone PLEASE try and figure out what is going on in this situation so that I can get a fix for this so it stops happening. It is very annoying and is taking quality time out of our day to get work done since we have to restart and restore a lot of the work that we are doing and some of it is lost sometimes because of the sudden freezups.

Does anyone know what is going on?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Barajiqal

Barajiqal

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 22 December 2010 - 04:21 PM

Did you redo all the drivers(graphics,lan,chipset,and the like) I've seen computers work and intermitently fail with the wrong drivers installed that would be my first guess anyways.
"I am Become Death, Destroyer of Worlds" - (Verse 32 Chapter 11 of the Bhagavad Gita) Robert J Oppenheimer

"Any Man Who Has a Habit and Cannot Bear to Share it Should not Have the Habit at All" - Misqoute From Rolland of Gillead in the Stephen King Series The Dark Tower

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2010 - 04:42 PM

<<...which lets us take an image from a computer and install it on another computer with dissimilar hardware.>>

You seem to misunderstand...an image can only work on a system with similar hardware...and even then it's not guaranteed to work.

An image...is taken for the purpose of installing on the same system.

If the intent is to install on dissimilar systems...the best bet is a Windows CD, not a system image.

As previously noted...the drivers installed on a system are different...installing an image containing drivers for a different system...is asking for more work than is necessary...and is not guaranteed to work properly, even if the wrong drivers are uninstalled and the correct drivers are installed.

Louis

#4 techforcity

techforcity
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2010 - 05:02 PM

Did you redo all the drivers(graphics,lan,chipset,and the like) I've seen computers work and intermitently fail with the wrong drivers installed that would be my first guess anyways.

Thank you for the quick response. Yes, I have gone through and used something called a Driver Sweeper and it lets me know what drivers are installed and what hardware is installed and what drivers aren't needed.

#5 techforcity

techforcity
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2010 - 01:25 PM

Does anyone have any other solutions that I can try?

#6 Mooseby

Mooseby

• Members
  • 276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 23 December 2010 - 01:41 PM

They may have to rebuild the image for these specific machines, it could be that one of the system files is corrupt in the image.

#7 techforcity

techforcity
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2010 - 01:50 PM

Is there any way that I can see if one of the system files is corrupt?

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 31 December 2010 - 12:48 AM

If this is a new computer, then I would simply return it for a new one.

#9 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2010 - 04:35 PM

I would take a look at the event viewer it may shed light on the item(s) causing the problem.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2010 - 06:07 PM

Random freezes when using MS Office...may point to RAM problems or pagefile (or any number of other things, IMO).

The suggestion to review Event Viewer for errors that point the way, although freezes may not normally be documented (probably because they are often not O/S problems, but system/hardware problems.

If they were driver problems...I would expect them to be constant, not intermittent.

I would also ensure that whatever version of MS Office is employed...is fully updated for SPs and critical updates.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users