Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

redirection to softwareea.com

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 al g

al g

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 22 December 2010 - 03:46 PM

I've heard many great things about the BC community. I never thought I'd get infected, but here I am. I would be grateful for your help.

Running Windows 7. I have malware that will not let me load any pages on IE, FF, or Chrome. It tries to drive me to softwareea.com to buy fake AV software. The warnings and errors are all extremely generic sounding to the point where Google searches are completely unhelpful.

I had SUPERAntiSpyware and Avira running, and have now run scans of both while in safe mode. Neither utility was able to find anything other than tracking cookies.

Any advice would be much appreciated. I'm happy to attach screenshots or provide additional information.

Edited by al g, 22 December 2010 - 03:48 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 al g

al g
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 23 December 2010 - 02:54 AM

update: after much experimenting I was came up with the idea of logging into my Windows 7 guest account. This user seemed to be uninfected. I ran Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, which identified and removed 9 infections. I'm happy to post screenshots in case anyone is running into the same issues and wants help, otherwise feel free to close this thread.

#3 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 23 December 2010 - 06:24 AM

Hello al g and :welcome: to the BC forums.

Thanks for posting with information about the successful method you used to regain control of your computer. That may well help others.

Threads are not generally closed in any of the BC forums, with the exception of the MRL forum, so it will remain open.

May I suggest running one more scan to remove any left-overs and check that your system is clean:

Scan your machine with ESET OnlineScan
  • Hold down Control and click on the following link to open ESET OnlineScan in a new window.
    ESET OnlineScan
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)
    • Click on Posted Image to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
    • Double click on the Posted Image icon on your desktop.
  • Check Posted Image
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • Accept any security warnings from your browser.
  • Check Posted Image
  • Push the Start button.
  • ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
  • When the scan completes, push Posted Image
  • Push Posted Image, and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
  • Push the Posted Image button.
  • Push Posted Image

Note 1: A log.txt file will also be created and automatically saved in the C:\Program Files\EsetOnlineScanner\ folder.
If you did not save the ESETScan log, click Posted Image > Run..., then type or copy and paste everything in the code box below into the Open dialogue box:

C:\Program Files\ESET\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt
  • Click Ok and the scan results will open in Notepad.
  • Copy and paste the contents of log.txt in your next reply.

NOTE 2: Some online scanners will detect existing anti-virus software and refuse to cooperate. You may have to disable the real-time protection components of your existing anti-virus and try running the scan again. If you do this, remember to turn them back on after you are finished.

NOTE 3: In some instances if no malware is found, there will be no log produced.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#4 sbw138

sbw138

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 23 December 2010 - 09:31 AM

Hi al g,

I think I'm running into the same problem as you. I keep getting pop up saying my computer has been infected, and it directs me to buy anti-virus protection from a real shady website. Can you provide screen shots on how you solved your problem? I'm running Windows XP, not sure what I would have to do differently.

Thanks for any help you can provide!!

#5 sbw138

sbw138

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 23 December 2010 - 01:26 PM

As an update to my last post, I restarted by computer in safe mode, downloaded Malwarebytes Anti-Malware from download.com, as recommended by al g, ran that, an it identified 15 infected items. I deleted them, restarted by computer in the normal mode, and everything seems back to normal. Thanks!

Softwareea people, you are a pain in the butt!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users