Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Computer shuts down when playing games

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 NeoScout

NeoScout

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 22 December 2010 - 03:00 PM

About a week ago I put together my first desktop computer, it's the first build shown on this site: http://www.build-gaming-computers.com/gaming-desktop-computer.html

The only problem I have is that the comp "randomly" shuts down when I play games (3d games). At first I had no idea what the problem could be, but after some searching I learned that the cpu temperature should be at around 40 C, and mine oscillates between 70 - 80. All the other components stay at around 30 C.

I've bought thermal paste and reapplied some to the processor, but it still has the same reading. the fan on the heatsink is working fine. What's strange is that as soon as I start the computer the cpu temp is already at 72 C!!

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 22 December 2010 - 07:23 PM

Did you properly fitted in the cpu cooler?

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 DeexEnigma

DeexEnigma

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 AM

Posted 22 December 2010 - 07:32 PM

I Agree with killerx525 here, most likely the CPU heat-sink isn't properly installed.
You have to imagine that the heat-sink is engineered to literally push down on the CPU.
Since you have an AMD it's even less surprise that the heat-sink might not be quite sitting right, as they have a little trickier installation method.

Easiest way to test if the heat-sink is installed correctly is twist it slightly, if it moves more than 1mm, you have a problem.

#4 NeoScout

NeoScout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 23 December 2010 - 11:45 AM

I think I fixed it, I loaded the default settings in the bios and everything seems to be normal,for some reason the comp thought the cpu was hotter than it's supposed to be

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users