Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Belkin router slow speeds again

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 h4mza786

h4mza786

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 22 December 2010 - 01:26 PM

I have been using a Belkin Wireless N+ router for 3 months now, and that too with great difficulty because my computer is wirelessly connected to the router and i would get disconnected like 10-15 times a day, and my download speeds were so crap, like 20-100kb/s.

Then one day i decided to reset my router and modem, and set the channel of router to Auto, and i was amazed with my speeds. 1.3mb/s everytime, it never disconnected at all. I've been using it like that for 2 weeks until one night i suddenly got disconnected. So anyways i went to sleep later or, and when i went down the next morning i noticed an orange blinking globe light on my router. That's when i realized the router has finally given up. So i unplugged the router and back on and all the lights were fine, but the speed is now 256kb/s instead of 1.3mb/s :( The channel is still set to Auto and i think Auto is the best as i have been using channel 1 then 6 then 11 for 2 months with crap speeds.

What i don't get is why did my speed change? Why is it lower now?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 22 December 2010 - 02:16 PM

What ISP do you have? (Internet Service Provider)

Cable or DSL?

What Modem?

Routers should always connect devices wirelessly automaticaly, no assigning neceassry, unless your port fowarding or whatever for security reasons.

The computer connecting wirelessly, built in wireless card or USB adapter?

What is the specs of the wireless reciever in your computer? <--The router is wireless N+ but if your wireless card is a b/g card u are stuck at b/g speeds.

What are the system resources looking like?(cpu speeds, % being used, number of cores, available RAM left, HDD space left....)

Time of day plays a big role in speeds in heavily populated areas.
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#3 h4mza786

h4mza786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 24 December 2010 - 12:33 PM

Virgin Media.

Cable.

Motorola Surfboard SB5100 or something like that.

Not routers, but the devices. The devices such as my computer, iPhone etc are supposed to connect to router automatically and that only happens when the password entered is correct and when there is a router signal. If i go out, my iPhone won't connect because there's no signal, so whenever there is a signal, my iPhone would automatically connect to it.

The computer has a wireless network card installed, updated to latest drivers, also router is updated to latest firmware. The wireless network card is a Wireless-G.

Its a D-Link Airplus G DWL-G510

CPU usage is 2-4% and i usually open firefox most of the time with like 5 tabs etc.

The specs of my computer are

Pentium® Dual-Core CPU E6500 @ 2.93GHz (2 CPUs), ~ 2.9GHz
2GB RAM
Intel® G41 Express Chipset
C: Drive is 106GB free of 227GB
E: Drive is 162mb free of 196mb
Windows 7 32bit

Its only me who uses my router as it is password protected. I also have this router hooked up to the Dreambox where i view tv channels, so i don't know if that makes any difference with speeds etc

Edited by h4mza786, 24 December 2010 - 12:35 PM.

#4 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2010 - 09:20 AM

Well, your Router and Cable Lines comming into your house, only have so much bandwidth. The dreambox you use to watch television through, is using alot of bandwidth from your cable already, so there isnt much left to speed up your internet. If your viewing your dreambox on a HDTV and you are watching a HD channel, like a sports channel (usually in HD these days) that greatly decreases your internet speeds. As far as your internet speeds go, try testing speeds with the dreambox disconnected from your router.

I asked about your computer specs because a sytem being strained or near full performance already, would be slower loading internet content into the browser.
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#5 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2010 - 01:51 PM

If disconnecting your dreambox has no effect on your internet speeds, is it possible for you to connect your computer directly to the modem, taking the router out of the picture? If the speeds are good that way, add the router and then try again, if the speeds decrease, then your bottleneck is the router somehow, and perhaps its going bad. Try the router wireless and wired, without the dreambox connected, if the speeds are ok, add the dreambox, and turn on a channel, and then test the speeds again, if you find the dreambox to be the reason for your slowed speeds, a simple remedy would be to turn that off before you need speed online.

In my house, i had my modem connected to a cable outlet in the wall that was giving me an intermitten connection, the problem was that the cable outlet signal wasn't strong enough. Reasons being it was the farthest from the line in from the house, and behind the most splitters, greatly reducing the signal strength. Those cable splitters you see, that say like 2.5db or 3.5 db and 7 db, are how much signal strength your losing for every split. The cable technician re-routed the cable line from the line into my house and made my modem connection point have the strongest signal of all the cable input in the house, and now the cable internet never goes out, and is always blazing fast.

Another thing to try, if you rule out all your hardware, that maybe your computer wireless card is failing. Try the Ethernet port an test speeds. Also, if you can get someones laptop and connect to your signal an test speeds, that might let you know where the problem lies. Iphones have the speedtest.net app if you know anyone with one of those they can test it.
==]--s1lents0ul-->

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users