Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Importing iTunes library

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 kdje

kdje

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 22 December 2010 - 07:57 AM

I am NOT technilogically inclined, however, I have no one else to pawn this off on so, here's my quandry........I want to import my entire itunes library (31GB) from my home computer (basically kids) to my lap top. I signed up for home sharing, but the home computer is slow and doesn't work quite right from the years of kid use. My brother suggested Media Monkey, which I downloaded, but I still can't figure out how to get all my music (in one lump)exported. The flash drive and disc drive port on the home computer is in operable (Lego was shoved in), so I am in a pickle. Any suggestions? I can import each song, one by one, by using home sharing, but with 9,138 songs (and 4 kids) that'll take for every. Help! Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bigalexe

bigalexe

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 05 January 2011 - 02:36 PM

2 options I see here.

First option is go buy a portable HDD or USB Flash Drive large enough to accommodate your library. This will run about $35-$40 for either an 80GB portable HDD or a 32GB Flash Drive. The best part about this option is that not only do you get the library transferred but also have another backup.

Second option is that assuming you have Windows 7 on both computers you can setup the Homegroup which I think you mentioned. Just turn on both computers and tell it to start transferring before you go to bed. This will take some time but even over Wifi it shouldn't take more than a night because it is a direct transfer over your LAN which is only limited by the speed of your local hardware, it is NOT done over the internet. A good wireless router can reach 54mbps so doing a quick approximation it should take under an hour even if you are connected wirelessly. I did the calculation based on a transfer rate of 27mbps.
AMD Phenom II X6 2.8ghz
8GB DDR3 RAM
XFX ATI Radeon HD6850 1 GB DDR5, 26" Widescreen HDMI
500GB + 80GB HDD
Windows 7 Pro, Mozilla Firefox, AutoCAD 2011, Solidworks 2009
1/19/2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users