Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RealPlayer Install problems.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Saska01

Saska01

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 22 December 2010 - 05:43 AM

I'm an amateur musician who plays American Country (Bluegrass) music. I listen to US I'net radio stations quite a lot, & for the last 10 months or so,i've been using the RealPlayer Free version to listen to & download music tracks & video clips.I also used it along with IEv6 to download YouTube music clips.However,in attempting what i thought was an up-date a few days ago,i totally screwed it up.I downloaded & re-installed it,but on trying to run it,i got the dreaded BSoD !!.I un-installed it once more,re-installed it & got the BSoD again.

To cut a tedious story short,i went into the registry & deleted everything i could find to do with RealPlayer - my PC should have been totally free of anything to do with RP - right ?. This morning i re-installed RP,tried to run it & it flopped again giving me the BSoD.
I use Piriform CCleaner on my PC to clean up un-wanted files etc.after i've used it. CCleaner also detects 'registry issues' of which there are quite a few to do with RP.
Two questions please : - A) Has anybody got any ideas as to what may be causing RP not to function after installing it?.
B) How safe are these 'registry cleaners' ?. The registry is usually pretty 'hands-off',& to mess around with it without knowing exactly
what you're doing,can lead to BIG problems
Any info.or advice would be welcome in helping me to understand what might be happening,
Cheers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 22 December 2010 - 06:26 AM

I use Real Player all the time to download videos. I have the new version and downloaded one last week. No problems. Instead of a registry cleaner which can kill your computer, try Revo Uninstaller.

http://www.revouninstaller.com/

#3 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 22 December 2010 - 02:19 PM

I used to use RealPlayer frequently, and even upgraded to the paid version maybe 8 or 9 years ago. Since then RealPlayer has lost functionality with each update -- features I used to use were shifted to the more costly version. And only one site I visit still insists on using RealAudio files.

Finally I updated last weekend. The next time I started up the computer it ran like a slug. I opened the Task Manager and saw several "real" entries, even though I wasn't running it. That was the end of the line for me -- I uninstalled it.

VLC seems to be perfectly happy to play the Real Audio files at the one last site, and VLC has never given me a problem.

Edited by Capn Easy, 22 December 2010 - 02:19 PM.

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2010 - 07:13 PM

VLC doesn't download video clips. That's what he's using Real Player for. Real Player downloads any embedded clip that isn't DRM protected, not just Youtube. That is useful. This function was added a couple of years ago. I don't play clips on Real. I use VLC for that. Apples and oranges.

#5 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 22 December 2010 - 07:29 PM

Ah, I saw the music tracks, missed the video clips.

Unless they're in a Real proprietary format I use the DownloadHelper add-on for Firefox for that.

#6 Saska01

Saska01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 23 December 2010 - 01:30 AM

Hi Folks - Many thanks for taking the time to offer your advice. I'll try using the 'uninstaller' that frankp316 advises.there may be some bits of Real Player left over from the first installation.
The big bonus of RP for me was the fact that it used to download Internet Radio clips direct to a folder on my PC,i've not found any other 'freeware' that will do that
as efficiently.It also displayed info.on who was playing what & what CD the tunes etc.came from WMP doesn't do that,in fact WMP doesn't even have the Radio Stations i listen to on it's list.
Capn.Easy - Thanks for the tip re. DownloadHelper.I'll have a look at that. I use Firefox mostly as my web browser,but RP wouldn't download YouTube clips using Firefox,it tried to steer me towards the 'paid for' version,whereas using IEv6,it worked like a dream,in spite of YouTube informing me that IEv6 wasn't 'supported' any more.
The 100 or more YouTube clips that i already have on my PC play perfectly well using FLV Player. I can use KEEPVID for downloading YouTube clips but it doesn't always work & the facility to 'record' Radio music clips isn't there,
Cheers

#7 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2010 - 06:06 AM

The problem Real was having with Youtube clips has been fixed with the new version. I downloaded a clip last week. Most other video downloaders work on Youtube only and possibly other viral video sites like Daily Motion. Real works on any embedded clip that is not DRM protected. So for example if you find a clip on the website of your local FOX station, you can download it using Real. Most of the others don't do that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users