Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Freezes during Heavy Loads - Must Force Restart

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ferrari7

Ferrari7

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 22 December 2010 - 02:54 AM

Hello, first time posting. Sorry in advance for anything.

My system that I built myself:
- BioStar P4M800 Pro - M7 Mobo
- Intel Pentium D at 2.66 Ghz CPU
- 1 GB of RAM (I believe it was GSKill)
- NetGear WPN311 PCI Wireless Card
- RoseWill Case w/ 350 Watt Power Supply
- 20 GB HDD
- 200 GB HDD
- Windows XP Home Edition w/ Full Updates
- Artic Cooling Freezer 7 PRO CPU Fan

The Story: I built this computer and had no issues for sometime. However, I used the included CPU Fan and thermal compound and that gave out after sometime causing the computer to overheat a lot. I kept using it w/ the overheat issues. I then bought the Artic Cooling Freezer 7 PRO CPU Fan and installed and that brought my system back to normal in operation. I've always used a 200 GB HDD from an old system that I wiped clean and installed WinXP as the main HDD for this system. What happens is that when doing heavy processing (full screen YouTube, webcam videochat, heavy file transfers to external USB HDD) the entire computer will freeze and I have to force restart it using the button on the case.

This PC was our main PC for my parents, however we've since bought a laptop for them. I wiped an old 20 GB HDD and installed fresh WinXP on it for this PC. I've been using this as media PC w/ OrbCaster, TVersity, pulpTunes, iTunes, QuickTime, Chrome, LogMeIn as the only applications installed. With all those applications running, the PC has no issues streaming videos/music/pictures from USB External Drives to my network - including 5-10 GB 1080p rips.

I am still running into issues with this barebone setup though. I first thought it would be the 200 GB HDD, but I'm getting the same issue with the 20 GB as well. Both are IDE, not SATA.

What could be causing my PC to freeze under certain loads, and not for HD streaming? Could the previous overheating issue have caused damage somewhere which makes it buckle under heavy loads? I've done HDD checks and Memory Check using simple/free software and both come back with OK results. I don't get any BSODs either.

Edited by Ferrari7, 22 December 2010 - 02:55 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 22 December 2010 - 10:48 AM

Just my view...

A system that runs fine for routine/mundane things...yet freezes when asked to do anything that taxes memory or video memory...where different drives have been tried/used...well, it should be obvious (IMO).

http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/content.php?S_ID=94

Typical onboard memory for video usage on motherboards from 2 years ago...was 512MB.

That board supports a max of 2GB of RAM.

Louis

#3 Ferrari7

Ferrari7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 22 December 2010 - 12:07 PM

So, you're saying that I should upgrade/add more RAM? The thing is that the computer, when first built, easily handled anything. It was only recently that this problem started occurring. Only for maybe the past few months or so that this started happening and freezing. Otherwise, before that it was working perfectly fine with anything we did. This wasn't an ongoing issue from the beginning.

Just my view...

A system that runs fine for routine/mundane things...yet freezes when asked to do anything that taxes memory or video memory...where different drives have been tried/used...well, it should be obvious (IMO).

http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/content.php?S_ID=94

Typical onboard memory for video usage on motherboards from 2 years ago...was 512MB.

That board supports a max of 2GB of RAM.

Louis

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2010 - 01:25 PM

These...comparisons to when first bought...usually are illogical.

The tenency of the normal user is to install programs...as time goes on. If you can compare the two different time periods and swear that nothing else (not even critical updates or additional Windows components) have been installed since then...then your comparison might be valid.

I'm not "saying" anything about what you should do...it's your system, do whatever. I just wanted to point out what I thought was pertinent...what would be pertinent if that was my system.

Louis

#5 CohenTheBarbarian

CohenTheBarbarian

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2010 - 06:27 AM

I would suspect thermal issues first. It looks like biostar doesn't provide monitoring tools - try SpeedFan or Motherboard Monitor, and take a peek and see if your temperature is getting too high. You mentioned overheating issues before.

Have you ever cleaned the dust from the heatsink since you installed it? It might be quite dusty by now, you can blow it out with canned air.

Might also want to try reapplying thermal compound if that doesn't work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users