Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

REcent Updates caused BSOD?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 in cog

in cog

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 22 December 2010 - 01:59 AM

Hi...A friend Of mine did the recent updates to his PC last week...during the update, after a 1/2 hour had passed, he thought his PC was froze so he shut it down, then tried to restart it. He got the blue screen of death (BSOD).
This is what is displayed when he tries to boot up: Windows could not start because the following file is missing
or corrupt:
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

also these characters:

stop: 0x000000c2 (0x00000043,0xc4fee000,0x00000000,0x00000000)

Citing a bad pool caller is the reason

He is an XP user and his PC was running fine before the update. He can't get the PC to go to safe mode...or to the last known good configuration.
He has tried using his disc but after he types "R" in...and the number 1...he can go no further....could someone please offer me some insight as to why this happened?? Possibly an update on a driver and now that is causing this issue? He can't even tell if the updates installed successfully as he is unable to get past the blue screen. :huh: Thanks much for any and all advice.

Edited by in cog, 22 December 2010 - 02:08 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,746 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2010 - 10:40 AM

Your friend damaged the registry by his actions.

Microsoft Says...

Louis

#3 in cog

in cog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2010 - 12:13 PM

Hi Louis..thanks much for the input. Last night I had read him the very link you posted today and he said he can't try that because his PC has an OEM installed operating system. He wants to avoid a total reformat if possible, but at this point in time, it's not looking good. Because of what I just told you, is that what he will have to end up doing? Thanks much.

Edited by in cog, 22 December 2010 - 12:14 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,746 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2010 - 01:32 PM

Well...we read the same link and MS says OEM (HP, Dell, Lenovo, etc.) systems should not necessarily use the procedures suggested.

I don't have any such systems, so I never have this problem/situation.

But if I did...I would either have my system backed up properly...or I would just wipe everything and employ my system-restore-to-factory-default-conditions option supplied by the OEM...or I would take a chance and try the MS procedures, figuring that the worst thing that can happen...would be a clean install via the OEM restore option.

Louis

#5 in cog

in cog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2010 - 05:57 PM

Hi Louis, once again thanks....good point...what does he have to lose. I just got off the phone with him and he says he is going to try to reboot his router as his cable has been out since last night and is the very reason I contacted you in the first place, instead of him doing it. Personally I don't think it's his cable, but more like his router that shuts him down often, and could possibly be the reason he thought his PC was frozen last week...maybe during the install it went out briefly. Anyway, thanks again for your time. Appreciate it. Hope you have a wonderful holiday.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users