Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems with Memorex DVD-R

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bernardt

bernardt

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 21 December 2010 - 11:49 PM

I've had some of these DVD-Rs laying around my room for awhile, and today I put one in my laptop (Windows Vista) for the first time to attach a video file to it (to play on my blu ray player). When I popped it in I selected that I would like it to act as a USB so I would be able to attach and delete files whenever I please. Putting the video file on the DVD-R was no problem, but when I deleted it I noticed that the DVD-R space was still taken up. The video file was about 2.5GB of the 4.7GB space of the disk, but after I deleted the file it acted as though I had never deleted anything and the space was still taken up. I tried other ways to delete the files off the discs but each time it continues to say I'm taking up space when I've already deleted the files. Is there something I'm doing wrong or is this not even possible with this kind of DVD-R? Thanks.

Edited by bernardt, 21 December 2010 - 11:51 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 22 December 2010 - 03:09 AM

You can't delete from a DVD-R, in order to do that you have to have a DVD-RW disc. With a DVD-R you will be able to add to what is already on the disc, but what is there has to stay there. DVD-RW discs are not particularly reliable, and cannot be written and deleted from nearly as many times as a flash drive can.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 bernardt

bernardt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 22 December 2010 - 12:15 PM

Ah ok, thanks for the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users