Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Browse; Can't flush DNS; Can't change user account setting

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 davidfea

davidfea

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 21 December 2010 - 11:34 PM

My Vista laptop froze last week so I hard rebooted the machine. Undoubtedly something got corrupted because now the browser won't connect to the Internet. The laptop will still connect to everything else on my network so it's not a connectivity issue. After doing some research on the topic I found other visitors who fixed similar symptoms by flushing the dns, done by the command 'ipconfig /flushdns'.

Ok so I was hot on the trail of fixing the problem however when I tried to run that function I got a Vista message that said 'The requested operation requires elevation.'

So it appears that this issue can be solved by 'Turning User Account On or Off'. Many websites have instructions on how to do this. They tell you to go to 'User Accounts' in the 'Control Panel' and select the link to 'Turn User Account On or Off'. However, when I click that link nothing happens. It's dead.

So am I missing something or is my computer unsaveable without totally reinstalling the OS (which I can't do because if the laptop did come with the Vista OS I sure don't have it now)?

Any help in resolving the issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

David

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2010 - 01:32 AM

I got a Vista message that said 'The requested operation requires elevation.'

You have to open command prompt as administrator.
Go Start and in 'Start search" type in:
cmd
While holding SHIFT and CTRL, press Enter.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 davidfea

davidfea
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2010 - 01:02 PM

Hi Broni,

Thanks for quick reply. Unfortunately I still seem to be blocked by the OS. When I type cmd {Ctrl/Shift/Enter} I get a response from the OS that says 'Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access them.'

Any other possible remedies?

David

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2010 - 01:04 PM

I suspect, your computer may be infected.
Start new topic at "Am I Infected?" forum.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 davidfea

davidfea
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2010 - 01:32 PM

Problem solved.

First some other symptoms. It turns out that many of the usually accessible OS functions were inaccessible, like uninstall program. I had seen that others were able to solve their access problems by removing their anti-virus software. I was unable to do that because I was denied access to the 'uninstall' program. So I rebooted and openned the OS in Safe Mode, which allowed me access to the Windows 'uninstall' functionality. I successfully uninstalled the anti-virus software (Webroot) and rebooted.

Then following your previous instructions I openned the cmd window and flushed the dns. Low and behold all Browsers are working fine again.

I hope this helps somebody else who may be having problems because of their anti-virus software.

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2010 - 01:35 PM

Nice work :)

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users