Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer is very slow and non responsive a lot

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 MAKRLM

MAKRLM

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 21 December 2010 - 10:20 PM

Hello,
My computer has gotten to be to slow to tolerate any longer.
Computer takes over 8 mins to boot up form a cold boot and over 3 mins from Hibernate.
I get a lot of RED X's in my mail and even on webpages. When I send pics in email they do not get in the email even if I copy and paste them. Looking at items in eBay take a long time to show up if at all. It just hangs ------- Have to close out and resign in to look more.
Computer is slow without being connected to the internet also. It just lags and get slower and slower....

Computer is a Dell Dimension 8300, P4 3.oo gig, 1 gig ram, 120gig Hard Drive 64 gig free...
I am using AOL9.5 and IE8 currently up-to-date .
I have run AVG 2010 AntiVirus, MalawareBytes, Spybot Search and Destroy, TrendMicro Housecall, Micrsoft Essentials, CCleaner and Glaries Utilities. I have also run Trend Micro RUBotted for rootkits - it found something that it wanted me to run Housecall to get rid of it. I did and it did not remove anything....
Slow as ever -------

Hope you can help - Thanks in advance --
MAKRLM ----

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,942 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 23 December 2010 - 11:07 PM

have run AVG 2010 AntiVirus, MalawareBytes, Spybot Search and Destroy, TrendMicro Housecall, Micrsoft Essentials

Using more than one anti-virus program is not advisable. Why? The primary concern with doing so is due to conflicts that can arise when they are running in real-time mode simultaneously and issues with Windows resource management. Even when one of them is disabled for use as a stand-alone scanner, it can affect the other and cause conflicts. Anti-virus software components insert themselves into the operating systems core and using more than one can cause instability, crash your computer, slow performance and waste system resources. When actively running in the background while connected to the Internet, they both may try to update their definition databases at the same time. As the programs compete for resources required to download the necessary files this often can result in sluggish system performance or unresponsive behavior.

Each anti-virus may interpret the activity of the other as suspicious behavior and there is a greater chance of them alerting you to a "False Positive". If one finds a virus or a suspicious file and then the other also finds the same, both programs will be competing over exclusive rights on dealing with that virus or suspicious file. Each anti-virus may attempt to remove the offending file and quarantine it at the same time resulting in a resource management issue as to which program gets permission to act first. If one anit-virus finds and quarantines the file before the other one does, then you encounter the problem of both wanting to scan each other's zipped or archived files and each reporting the other's quarantined contents. This can lead to a repetitive cycle of endless alerts that continually warn you that a threat has been found when that is not the case.

Anti-virus scanners use virus definitions to check for malware and these can include a fragment of the virus code which may be recognized by other anti-virus programs as the virus itself. Because of this, most anti-virus programs encrypt their definitions so that they do not trigger a false alarm when scanned by other security programs. Other vendors do not encrypt their definitions and they can trigger false alarms when detected by the resident anti-virus. Further, dual installation is not always possible because most of the newer anti-virus programs will detect the presence of others and may insist they be removed prior to download and installation of another. If the installation does complete with another anti-virus already installed, you may encounter issues like system freezing, unresponsiveness or similar symptoms while trying to use it.

To avoid these problems, use only one anti-virus solution. Deciding which one to remove is your choice. Be aware that you may lose your subscription to that anti-virus program's virus definitions once you uninstall that software.

Trend Micro’s RUBotted supposedly monitors your computer for bot related activity and suspicious behavior that are potentially harmful. The program works by regularly checking with an online service to identify behavior associated with Bots. Upon discovering a potential infection, RUBotted prompts you to scan and clean your computer. It has been reported that RUBotted is very difficult to remove as there is no separate program uninstall and are no specific removal instructions available from Trend that I can find. Further, the program's effectiveness is questionable so I don't recommend using it. Read this review of RUBotted and the user comments.

-- Also note that this program is a beta version. I seldom recommend using betas of any program as you never know what bugs and quirks you may encounter. These bugs may range in severity from minor features that don't work to problems that cause your computer to crash.

You may have too many applications loading at startup when Windows boots. Almost all applications you install want to startup when Windows loads. If you allow all these startups, they will compete for and use system resources resulting in poor performance and a slow system. Many of these programs are not needed and disabling them can save resources and improve performance as they can be accessed from Start > Programs or an icon on the desktop if needed. Other reasons for slowness include disk fragmentation, disk errors, corrupt system files, unnecessary services running, too many browser Add-ons/toolbars, failure to clear browser cache, not enough RAM, dirty hardware components, etc. Incompatible browser extensions and add-ons can impact system performance and cause compatibility issues such as application hangs (freezing).

As you use your system it becomes filled with more files/programs and has a natural tendency to slow down so cleaning and regular maintenance is essential. For more information about trimming down the number of startup applications and other ways to improve performance, please refer to Slow Computer/Browser? Check here first; it may not be malware.

A red X is indicative of images blocked by some email programs/providers like Outlook Express and Yahoo as a security feature to prevent you from downloading pictures and other content (like viruses) from the email server. There is usually a setting in Mail options to uncheck the blocking of images.

If you are having similar issues with web pages, the Show Pictures check box may not be selected. Launch Internet Explorer and select Tools > Internet Options > Advanced tab > Multimedia and put a check mark next to Show Pictures. If you have the Toggle Images.exe Web accessory installed, click the Toggle Images.exe link on the Links toolbar to turn on images.

Edited by quietman7, 23 December 2010 - 11:08 PM.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 MAKRLM

MAKRLM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2011 - 01:54 AM

Thanks quietman7,
Check all the things mentioned and still have the problem, not as bad but still have it.
In Hotmail and AOL mail. Webpages too...

Know of anything else to try ????

MAKRLM -------

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,942 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2011 - 01:42 PM

Which problem...red x, slowness?

#5 MAKRLM

MAKRLM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2011 - 02:17 AM

quiteman7,

Red X's -
Still slow also...

MAKRLM

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,942 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2011 - 07:21 PM

Please download Norman Malware Cleaner and save to your desktop.
alternate download link
If you previously used Norman, delete that version and download it again as the tool is frequently updated!
  • Be sure to read all the information Norman provides on that same page.
  • Double-click on Norman_Malware_Cleaner.exe to start. Vista/Windows 7 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
    The tool is very slow to load as it uses a special driver. This is normal so please be patient.
  • Read the End User License Agreement and click the Accept button to open the scanning window.
  • Click Start Scan to begin.
  • In some cases Norman Malware Cleaner may require that you restart the computer to completely remove an infection. If prompted, reboot to ensure that all infections are removed.
  • After the scan has finished, a log file a log file named NFix_date_time (i.e. NFix_2009-06-22_07-08-56.log) will be created on your desktop with the results.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that file in your next reply.
-- Note: If you need to scan a usb flash drives or other removable drives not listed, use the Add button to browse to the drives location, click on the drive to highlight and choose Ok.

Please perform a scan with Eset Online Anti-virus Scanner.
  • This scan requires Internet Explorer to work. If using a different browser, you will be given the option to download and use the ESET Smart Installer.
  • Vista/Windows 7 users need to run Internet Explorer as Administrator. To do this, right-click on the IE icon in the Start Menu or Quick Launch Bar on the Taskbar and select Run As Administrator from the context menu.
  • Click the green Posted Image button.
  • Read the End User License Agreement and check the box:
  • Check Posted Image.
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • Accept any security warnings from your browser.
  • Check Posted Image
  • Check Remove found threats and Scan potentially unwanted applications. (If given the option, choose "Quarantine" instead of delete.)
  • Click the Start button.
  • ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer.
  • If offered the option to get information or buy software at any point, just close the window.
  • The scan will take a while so be patient and do NOT use the computer while the scan is running. Keep all other programs and windows closed.
  • When the scan completes, push Posted Image
  • Push Posted Image, and save the file to your desktop as ESETScan.txt.
  • Push the Posted Image button, then Finish.
  • Copy and paste the contents of ESETScan.txt in your next reply.
Note: A log.txt file will also be created and automatically saved in the C:\Program Files\EsetOnlineScanner\ folder.
If you did not save the ESETScan log, click Posted Image > Run..., then type or copy and paste everything in the code box below into the Open dialogue box:

C:\Program Files\ESET\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt
  • Click Ok and the scan results will open in Notepad.
  • Copy and paste the contents of log.txt in your next reply.
-- Some online scanners will detect existing anti-virus software and refuse to cooperate. You may have to disable the real-time protection components of your existing anti-virus and try running the scan again. If you do this, remember to turn them back on after you are finished.

#7 MAKRLM

MAKRLM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2011 - 03:38 AM

Hello again quietman7,
Well ran the 2 scans you wanted:
results are -
Norman Malware Cleaner
Version 1.8.3
Copyright 1990 - 2010, Norman ASA. Built 2011/01/08 15:59:32

Norman Scanner Engine Version: 6.06.12
Nvcbin.def Version: 6.06.00, Date: 2011/01/08 15:59:32, Variants: 8932013

Scan started: 2011/01/08 23:40:58

Running pre-scan cleanup routine:
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Home 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
Logged on user: MCNICHOLAS\Owner

Set registry value: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Userinit = "C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe" -> "C:\WINDOWS\System32\userinit.exe,"
Removed registry value: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System -> DisableRegistryTools = 0x00000000
Removed registry value: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer -> NoDrives = 0x00000000
Removed registry value: HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer -> NoFileMenu = 0x00000000
Removed registry value: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer -> NoResolveSearch = 0x00000001

Scanning kernel...

Kernel scan complete

Scanning bootsectors...

Number of sectors found: 1
Number of sectors scanned: 1
Number of sectors not scanned: 0
Number of infections found: 0
Number of infections removed: 0
Total scanning time: 1s 187ms

Scanning running processes and process memory...

Number of processes/threads found: 6770
Number of processes/threads scanned: 6770
Number of processes/threads not scanned: 0
Number of infected processes/threads terminated: 0
Total scanning time: 6m 26s

Scanning file system...

Scanning: prescan

Scanning: C:\*.*

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AOL Downloads\triton_suite_install\6.1.41.2\migrator.exe (Infected with W32/Suspicious_Gen2.ATVLM)
Deleted file

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AOL Downloads\triton_suite_install\6.1.41.2\ocpinst.exe (Infected with Suspicious_Gen2.BNVBU)
Deleted file

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\elefundesktops\irishpub_screensaver\swfplayer.exe (Infected with W32/Obfuscated.VPE)
Deleted file

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\desktop\EXE Files\copernicdesktopsearch-home.exe/noname.nsis/file0/file7 (Error whilst scanning file: I/O Error (0x00220005))

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\desktop\EXE Files\dfsetup120.exe/noname.nsis/file0/file49 (Error whilst scanning file: I/O Error (0x00220005))

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\desktop\EXE Files\dfsetup121.exe/noname.nsis/file0/file49 (Error whilst scanning file: I/O Error (0x00220005))

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\desktop\EXE Files\dfsetup201.exe/noname.nsis/file0/file14 (Error whilst scanning file: I/O Error (0x00220005))

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\desktop\EXE Files\drivedetect.exe (Infected with W32/Suspicious_Gen2.dam)
Deleted file

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\desktop\Security and Clean up\click_clean_setup.exe (Infected with W32/Startpage.LRL)
Deleted file

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\DoctorWeb\Quarantine\A0036219.exe (Infected with W32/Suspicious_Gen.GMGR)
Deleted file

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\DoctorWeb\Quarantine\aolcinst.exe (Infected with W32/Suspicious_Gen.GMGR)
Deleted file

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\dfsetup117.exe/noname.nsis/file0/file47 (Error whilst scanning file: I/O Error (0x00220005))

C:\Program Files\IObit\IObit SmartDefrag\language\Lietuviu.lng (Error opening file: Not found)

C:\Program Files\IObit\IObit SmartDefrag\language(2)\Lietuviu.lng (Error opening file: Not found)

C:\System Volume Information\_restore{81F46F87-A428-4D86-AED1-715352DA800D}\RP37\A0004342.ocx (Infected with W32/Suspicious_Gen.CZDW)
Deleted file

C:\System Volume Information\_restore{81F46F87-A428-4D86-AED1-715352DA800D}\RP45\A0009880.ocx (Infected with W32/Suspicious_Gen.CZDW)
Deleted file

C:\System Volume Information\_restore{81F46F87-A428-4D86-AED1-715352DA800D}\RP59\A0013854.exe (Infected with W32/Suspicious_Gen2.ATVLM)
Deleted file

C:\System Volume Information\_restore{81F46F87-A428-4D86-AED1-715352DA800D}\RP59\A0013855.exe (Infected with Suspicious_Gen2.BNVBU)
Deleted file

C:\System Volume Information\_restore{81F46F87-A428-4D86-AED1-715352DA800D}\RP59\A0013856.exe (Infected with W32/Obfuscated.VPE)
Deleted file

C:\System Volume Information\_restore{81F46F87-A428-4D86-AED1-715352DA800D}\RP59\A0013857.exe (Infected with W32/Suspicious_Gen2.dam)
Deleted file

C:\System Volume Information\_restore{81F46F87-A428-4D86-AED1-715352DA800D}\RP59\A0013858.exe (Infected with W32/Startpage.LRL)
Deleted file

C:\System Volume Information\_restore{81F46F87-A428-4D86-AED1-715352DA800D}\RP59\A0013859.exe (Infected with W32/Suspicious_Gen.GMGR)
Deleted file

C:\System Volume Information\_restore{81F46F87-A428-4D86-AED1-715352DA800D}\RP59\A0013860.exe (Infected with W32/Suspicious_Gen.GMGR)
Deleted file

C:\WINDOWS\CouponPrinter.ocx (Infected with W32/Suspicious_Gen.CZDW)
Deleted file

Scanning: C:\System Volume Information\*.*

C:\System Volume Information\_restore{81F46F87-A428-4D86-AED1-715352DA800D}\RP60\A0013866.ocx (Infected with W32/Suspicious_Gen.CZDW)
Deleted file

Scanning: postscan

Running post-scan cleanup routine:
Failed to locate shared service executable: C:\WINDOWS\System32\appmgmts.dll
Removed service: AppMgmt

Number of files found: 952516
Number of archives unpacked: 4165
Number of files scanned: 952491
Number of files not scanned: 25
Number of files skipped due to exclude list: 0
Number of infected files found: 18
Number of infected files repaired/deleted: 18
Number of infections removed: 18
Total scanning time: 5h 26m 26s

ESET Scan

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\desktop\EXE Files\burnaware_free.exe probably a variant of Win32/Spy.Banker.NQAXJWQ trojan deleted - quarantined

that is all that I got from ESET.

Tried to look for the file in Windows Explorer and it is [u]gone!!
Windows Explorer has disapeared from my computer.. Now there is something called "Synchronize".
Have never seen that nor used it before. I tried to use it and do not know what to put in it...

How can I get it back ????

Thanks --MAKRLM ---

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,942 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2011 - 08:42 AM

Tried to look for the file in Windows Explorer and it is gone!!

What do you mean by gone? Are explorer and explorer.exe no longer showing in the C:\Windows folder?

XP had a Synchronization Manager...is that what you are seeing or something else?

Have you tried using System Restore or System Restore from a command prompt in Safe Mode to return to a previous state before that problem began?

#9 MAKRLM

MAKRLM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2011 - 02:55 AM

Hello again quiteman,
Sorry for the long time in between replys.. Been sick, offline,etc. ..
I used system restore and it brought back Windows Explorer to the Start Menu, but it is still missing in the Start, Accessories drop down menu like it used to be..

Did anything show up in the tests that you had me run that would be what is giving me problems??
Computer is a little faster but I am still getting Red X's in white boxes in Hotmail, AOL mail and a few websites themselves..
I am using XP SP3 IE8 ...

MAKRLM --------

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,942 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2011 - 08:10 AM

I used system restore and it brought back Windows Explorer to the Start Menu, but it is still missing in the Start, Accessories drop down menu like it used to be.

You should be able to just drag and copy a shortcut to that location. See How to Add or Delete Start Menu All Programs Shortcuts in XP.

The red x issue is usually indicative of some setting which needs to be corrected and not malware. While we did found some malicious files, they were not related to that issue. You may want to start a new topic in the appropriate Windows Operating System Subforum.

#11 MAKRLM

MAKRLM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •