Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to download an ebook to adobe reader

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Mrs Pinnacle

Mrs Pinnacle

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 21 December 2010 - 07:06 PM

I am having trouble downloading a free ebook to adobe reader.I go to the popular e-book library gigapedia , select the book I want and try to download it , but somehow adobe reader will not open the file up because they say they are unable to read it . This is the typical title of the e-book file titled like this: yvab6EZSJ.7z and adobe has a response window that says either the file could not open because it is not a file supported by adobe or the file is damaged. I am guessing the former since people typically download books from this site. How would I convert an e-book file like 'yvab6EZSJ.7z' and converted to a file that adobe is able to read and therefore open up and download onto their software?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,563 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 21 December 2010 - 07:44 PM

Your file name of yvab6EZSJ.7z

The 7z suffix tells me that the file is a zip file and that the .pdf file within the zip needs to be extracted so that the .pdf format of the file can be read by your adobe reader.

To extract files or folders from a compressed folder

Locate the compressed folder that you want to extract files or folders from.

Do one of the following:

To extract a single file or folder, double-click the compressed folder to open it. Then, drag the file or folder from the compressed folder to a new location.

To extract the entire contents of the compressed folder, right-click the folder, click Extract All, and then follow the instructions.

The above instructions quoted from: Compress and uncompress files (zip files)

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Mrs Pinnacle

Mrs Pinnacle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2010 - 08:44 PM

To extract a single file or folder, double-click the compressed folder to open it. Then, drag the file or folder from the compressed folder to a new location.

Everytime I double click on the file to open it, I get an adobe reader window that says that the file cannot read the file that it is trying to open or the file is damaged. When I right click on the file, there is no explicit option that gives me the option to extract the file.

Edited by Mrs Pinnacle, 21 December 2010 - 08:46 PM.

#4 Mrs Pinnacle

Mrs Pinnacle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2010 - 09:17 PM

do I need to download winzip in order to extract my ebook file

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,563 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2010 - 01:21 PM

Should not be necessary to download winzip or other extraction tool as long as you have XP or newer.

I note you said 'double click' on the file. This will not get you the results you desire. You need to use the right mouse button on the zipped file to see the menu item to extract. Note my directions posted above:

To extract the entire contents of the compressed folder, right-click the folder, click Extract All, and then follow the instructions.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#6 Mrs Pinnacle

Mrs Pinnacle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2010 - 07:17 PM

I don't think I have windows xp, but I have the latest windows operating system. I doubled right clicked on the file and it gives me the option to extract my file only with 7-zip but I am still unable to properly open my file. I know the file is real because when I click on the properties for my file, it contains the amount of data in Megabytes.

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,563 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2010 - 07:32 PM

You shouldn't have to double right click. It should be a single right click to show your options. You say you don't have XP so I'm not sure what version of Windows you have. I'm not familiar with the others OS's to know for sure whats possible, with right click.

Given that 7zip is a free archiver and zip utility. You can download it here: http://www.7-zip.org/

This should resolve your issue of extracting your file.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#8 Mrs Pinnacle

Mrs Pinnacle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2010 - 07:49 PM

You shouldn't have to double right click. It should be a single right click to show your options. You say you don't have XP so I'm not sure what version of Windows you have. I'm not familiar with the others OS's to know for sure whats possible, with right click.

Given that 7zip is a free archiver and zip utility. You can download it here: http://www.7-zip.org/

This should resolve your issue of extracting your file.

I got the 7zip program successfully. I was still unable to extract my ebookfile, and one of the possibilities they gave was that I have the wrong password.At the beginning , when I selected the extract button of the 7zip program they wanted me to enter a password; however, during the installation of the 7zip program, they did not give me the option to choose a password for 7zip. Do you know how I would choose a password for 7zip.

#9 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,563 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2010 - 07:51 PM

The password would be on the file not 7zip. Apparently your zipped file is password protected.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users