Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard Won't Operate

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 neverbeenhere

neverbeenhere

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 06 December 2005 - 03:34 AM

Keyboard is a Dell standard office.Unable to type anything or get into programs that need passwords.Have also tried another keyboard with the same result.I have used the Dell diagnostic program and the Microsoft program and came up with nothing.When I checked the drivers the result was the device driver was loaded successfully but can't find the hardware device (code 41).Is there a problem internally?I'm stuck and unable to get into programs that I need to get into.

I have one other thing that i'm not familiar with.McFee anti-virus each time it loads there is a box that says the activeshield needs to be re-installed.I don't know where to look for it or what it is or it's purpose.

Any help would be appreciative.

Thank you,
neverbeenhere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 06 December 2005 - 04:43 AM

What can you tell us about your system - model number? age? When did the problem first occur?
How are you operating the system - with the mouse alone? Are the keyboard and mouse PS/2 or USB?
Is it possible you have the keyboard and mouse in the wrong ports? (Don't think It would boot like that but you never can tell)

Check the keyboard plug with a magnifying glass and look for bent pins - look at the socket to see if there is something jammed in one of the holes.

Look in the BIOS for any unusual settings relating to the keyboard such as "USB support for legacy keyboards" (or is that legacy support for USB keyboards?) or similar.
If they don't seem to apply to your particular system disable them.
(Edit - I just realised if your keyboard isn't working you won't be able to get into the BIOS - duh!)

hth :thumbsup:

Edited by Rimmer, 06 December 2005 - 07:22 PM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 06 December 2005 - 08:37 AM

Do you have a USB keyboard, or does a friend have one you can try? If the USB keyboard does not work you could have malware/virus or a software conflict. Have you installed any software or hardware lately(about the time this started).
If the USB works you may have a dead PS\2 port.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 Lazarus Long

Lazarus Long

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 07 December 2005 - 01:07 AM

1)did it ever work?? if yes, when did it stop?
2)if the mouse and keyboard are USB, and the mouse works, then it's not your USB port...

If you were able to run the diags, and they passed, then try driver rollback in the Dell utilities, or system restore if the keyboard suddenly stopped working.

If system restore fails to fix, and another keyboard doesn't work, then call Dell...

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 07 December 2005 - 01:35 AM

Once you get your keyboard problem resolved give us some more information on which McAffee product you are using.

What it is telling you is that you have to reload part of your McAffee Anti-virus program.

or

You could just get one of the anti-virus programs below - both freeware and both use less resources than McAffee does.

AVG: http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_index.php

Avast Anti-virus freeware
http://www.komando.com/bestshareware.asp

In the meantime, you basically have no av protection because McAffee isn't actively working until you reinstall activeshield.
Try doubleclicking on the McAffee icon in your task bar and click on support.

#6 neverbeenhere

neverbeenhere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2005 - 02:13 AM

Tried restore and driver rollback no results.Mouse and keyboard are USB,even tried another mouse that didn't work.Contacted Dell,they didn't want to help because the computer wasn't under warranty.I believe the trouble started shortly after I installed Spysweeper.The computer started to freeze up and was sluggish.I have since uninstalled Spysweeper.You never really realize how important the keyboard is until you can't use it.

As for McFee I don't know what is happening with it as it expired a long time ago.This product came with the system that I ordered from Dell.I really don't like their product and always use AVG.Maybe I need to uninstall it.
If you have anymore suggestions that would be very helpful'
Thank you

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2005 - 02:23 AM

Do you have the CD? Use the CD to go to the Repair Console. When you boot off of the CD it will ask you to Press "R" to repair. Select this. It will take you to the Command line Repair Console. At this point select "1" and enter the Admin password. Type chkdsk . If it can be repaired it will be.

#8 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 08 December 2005 - 03:33 AM

Maybe I need to uninstall it.

Definitely. If you now have AVG installed you should uninstall the old McAfee antivirus.
Use 1 Anti-Virus program, 1 Firewall and many Anti-Spyware programs, supplemented by occasional online Anti-Virus scans.

Can you borrow a standard PS/2 keyboard and boot with that? Your USB drivers may be corrupted and you could update them or reinstall them while using a standard keyboard.

Edited by Rimmer, 08 December 2005 - 03:33 AM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#9 neverbeenhere

neverbeenhere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2005 - 12:07 PM

I will definitely uninstall McFee antivirus.I have tried other standard keyboards without anymore success.

#10 neverbeenhere

neverbeenhere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2005 - 12:15 PM

Are we talking about dell's resource cd or the reinstallation cd microsoft windows xp home edition?I'm not sure which one to try.

Thank you

#11 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2005 - 05:38 PM

The XP Hoome disk. When it starts to install if will ask wheather to install, or repair select Repair by typing "R" when prompted.

#12 neverbeenhere

neverbeenhere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2005 - 01:53 AM

I have just tried the XP disk and the message I got was that the cd was older than the operating system,That means when I bought this dell they shipped and older cd than the xp installed.Is it possible that the problem has something to do with the motherboard?I did go and get another PS2 keyboard,the end result was the same.

#13 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2005 - 01:58 AM

It probably reflects the service packs you have installed to update windows with.

#14 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2005 - 10:46 AM

Have you run this from within Windows (where the "older version" message usually shows up) - or from the boot with the "DOS" based screens (see this link for some pictures: http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp

A repair install will strip most, if not all, of your Windows Updates away (so, you'll need to go to Windows Update immediately after the repair install).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#15 foggy

foggy

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2005 - 09:24 PM

Well, well!!! Seems like I am not the only one to have this problem. For the most part, I have it "sort of fixed."

This is what I did AND I STILL HAVE SOME PROBLEMS that I will get to.

My keyboard was frozen, using xp pro and logitech cordless mouse and board. Tried other boards as you have to no avail. FORTUNATELY--- when I first set up my system a couple of years ago or so, I put two accounts in place, one for me and one for my wife. I got into my wife's account and the board worked in her account but not in mine. Next I went into safe mode and reset the computer to some earlier date and the operating system was able to get things back into operation for me.

Although I didn't try going into the administrator account, I believe the keyboard would have worked just as my wife's did. If you have not resolved your problem it might be worth a try.

There are some left over problems that I will post in a separate string that I will share here. I build my machine using an Asus KV8 mother board. One of the monitor circuits for a fan is somewhat iffy, most times when the machine goes through a boot cycle I get a fan error requiring pushing F1 to continue booting. Well, F1 doesn't work, niether does the delete key until the operating system starts. So this leads to multiple on/off toggles until a condition exists without a fan error. But this is a different topic, I just wanted to tell my experience with the keyboard not working.

Note--- the mouse worked OK, that allowed me to change accounts

Foggy---1st post!

EDIT:--OK! Wanted to get back to the F1 problem and solution. I tried earlier using the vendor's CD to reload the drivers but that failed because the software in the computer was later than the software on the CD. After posting above, I went to Logitech's site and downloaded the drivers directly. That fixed the F1 problem.

Edited by foggy, 29 December 2005 - 10:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users