Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win XP Pro x64 Boot failure

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 CompXP64

CompXP64

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 21 December 2010 - 06:04 PM

Greetings!

To start, I am running a computer with Windows XP x64 edition on an AMD FX57 with 3GB ram, etc.. etc. So I am using the AMD64, not I386.
Problems began when I was on google chrome, looking at facebook (can you see where this is going?) and while reading someone's note they'd posted, I get hit with a Win32:MalOb virus. So, I pull the ethernet cord from the back of the computer and I delete the infected file (something like s430432.dll?) quickly from C:\windows\system32\, but it replicates and comes back immediately. Windows Disk Manager fails unexpectedly. I go to update my antivirus software, which is telling me it can delete this virus during the next startup. (This is where the fun begins, and I kick myself for rebooting.)

Rebooting the computer leads to a black screen before the splash screen and nothing further.
Ok, I'll reboot in safe mode.
Attempting to boot in safe mode, I get three lines of text with the computer not progressing after kdcom.dll. (See below for those 3 lines)
Multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)/windows/sytem32/ntoskrnl.exe
Multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)/windows/sytem32/hal.dll
Multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)/windows/sytem32/kdcom.dll

So, I assume kdcom.dll is corrupt, right?
I rename the original to "kdcom.dll.bak" (backing it up) and copy it from the Win XP x64 Pro disk I have. No luck.
So I .bak and copy over the ntoskrnl.exe, hal.dll, and bootvid.dll files to see if any of those are the problem- which just result in a "file corrupt" message.
Since replacing the files didn't help, I restore the originals that I renamed ".bak"

I put the HDD into another computer, virus scan it, REMOVE THE VIRUS ON IT, put it back in the computer but it still won't boot (even in safe mode).

So I go to run the recovery console from the XP x64 Pro install disk, but it can't detect a copy of windows because it can't detect the harddrive. (SATA HDD weren't supported with WinXP, See my second post for a fix for this.)
I'm hoping to run Chkdsk, fixmbr, or fixboot in hopes that one of those will fix the issue.

At this point, I'm looking at rc.iso (from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic138692.html) but don't know if that will work on Win XP x64 edition. Anyone know?

P.S.: I am NOT looking to reformat and reinstall windows. If that is your answer, don't bother to give it. If you suggest it, I'll ignore it. Pardon my rudeness for saying so, but I'd rather spend three weeks fixing this so I can keep all my programs/settings/updates/drivers than spend two days reinstalling everything and spending half a year trying to get all my settings back how they were.

Edit: Minor edits for clarity/spelling errors.

Edited by CompXP64, 22 December 2010 - 04:24 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CompXP64

CompXP64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2010 - 02:10 AM

As an side note: Anyone experiencing the "Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer" issue when attempting to install XP- This is because you have a SATA HDD, which was not supported by XP at the time.

Here's a solution for that: You can install Windows XP or Windows XP SP2 (Service Pack 2) on an AHCI enabled system by changing BIOS setting to disable AHCI (or RAID which includes AHCI in its functions) and use native SATA IDE emulation mode (SATA/PATA). In SATA IDE Emulation mode, XP setup could find the SATA drives and proceed to continue to install XP properly. How to change the BIOS settings on SATA mode is depending on which brand or model or even motherboard of your computer system. Check your system manual for more information. For example, in Dell Precision workstation, press F2 to go into BIOS, and then go to “SATA Management” to select AHCI or SATA mode. If you don’t find any option in BIOS to change AHCI support for SATA ports, most probably the drives already runs in IDE (ATA) emulation mode and therefore doesn’t require the AHCI driver. It’s because AHCI support is depending on the chipset (commonly by Intel) and the HDD. In this case, you have to figure out what’s other causes that may stop your SATA disks from functioning.

A slightly more difficult but recommended method is to create a slipstreamed XP install disc with the Intel Matrix Storage Manager which is also the AHCI SATA Controller driver included. A slipstreamed XP setup CD with AHCI SATA controller driver allows the XP OS to support hard disk on AHCI and use its advanced features such as NCQ for faster access, read and write speed. While slipstreaming, users can also have the advantage to include all updates for Windows XP for up-to-date patched OS, without the need to download and install hotfixes later.

Still no answer to my question, so I'm going to attempt one of these methods to get drivers for my SATA HDD and try running CHKDSK, etc.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2010 - 09:55 AM

You've put forth...so many words...I can't seem to accurately determine just what IS the question that you want answered.

Can you ask it again, without any excess verbiage that might confuse or defray from focus on the question?

If you are asking about Recovery Console .iso files, I don't believe that those are available to anyone at this time.

Since you mention virus issues and the will to resolve such...I am moving your topic to the Am I Infected forum.

Louis

#4 CompXP64

CompXP64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2010 - 02:34 PM

Yes, I did post a lot, because (as stated in the "before you post" guidelines) I was explaining/including what happened when my problem occurred and what steps I'd already taken. I'm pretty sure I've made it about as clear as possible without excluding any relevant information. I've mentioned a few times that this is a boot issue (hence the topic and the second post about resolving one of the issues I'm having).

Had you read my previous post on what I had done with my computer, you would see that I am NOT infected anymore...
"Put the HDD into another computer, virus scan it, killed off what was infected on it, put it back in the computer but it still won't boot (even in safe mode)."

I did post in the correct section. Please move the post back.
This is not an issue with a virus, but getting the computer to boot. It will not boot, even into safe mode.

As far as my problem is concerned:
So I go to run the recovery console from the XP x64 Pro install disk, but it can't detect a copy of windows because it can't detect the harddrive.
I'm hoping to run Chkdsk, fixmbr, or fixboot in hopes that one of those will fix the issue.

At this point, I'm looking at rc.iso (from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic138692.html) but don't know if that will work on Win XP x64 edition. Anyone know?

I want to know if that recovery console will work for a 64bit version of xp.
My second post details methods of getting around the issue that I encountered, which I am most likely going to try if I can't get an answer about the rc.iso recovery console being 64bit compatible.

Edited by CompXP64, 22 December 2010 - 04:29 PM.

#5 CompXP64

CompXP64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2010 - 12:41 AM

Nevermind about the RC.iso file. Since I couldn't get an answer (or find one elsewhere on the internet), I managed to get a recovery console.

Found a Win XP Pro x64 install disc with SP2 on it, and slipstreamed it to allow SATA access. I can run recovery console from the xp install cd now.

Tried CHKDSK (spotted no errors, so I didn't use /p (progress). /f was an invalid command?). Still won't boot into safe mode. Still hanging on kdcom.dll.
Ran Fixboot, still won't boot into safe mode. Again, still stopping at kdcom.dll.
Not running fixmbr yet (don't want to chance losing the partition yet).

Gonna try copying the kdcom.dll, hal.dll, etc from this SP2 install disc and see if that fixes the problem.

Edited by CompXP64, 23 December 2010 - 01:29 AM.

#6 CompXP64

CompXP64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2010 - 08:09 PM

Ok, after running the install->repair on the Windows XP Pro x64 SP2 installation disk, it still wouldn't load into windows or safe mode. I was getting a "Failure to load Kernel." error, which I easily repaired with a FIXMBR. The computer booted into Windows and ran setup (like as in initial set-up).

After allowing the computer to Setup windows, it rebooted.

Now, if I attempt to load Safe mode, the computer shows a list of DLLs loading, then it reboots.
If I attempt to load windows normally, it gets to the black screen (before the windows splash screen), then reboots.

Any ideas?

PS: Still not a virus issue, this really needs moved back to the original forum.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2011 - 08:41 AM

Moved from Am I Infected to XP forum, at OP request.

Louis

#8 PolaBar

PolaBar

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2011 - 09:06 AM

Attempting to boot in safe mode, I get three lines of text with the computer not progressing after kdcom.dll. (See below for those 3 lines)
Multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)/windows/sytem32/ntoskrnl.exe
Multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)/windows/sytem32/hal.dll
Multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)/windows/sytem32/kdcom.dll

So, I assume kdcom.dll is corrupt, right?

Since you have passed this point, this is just for future reference. When your screen shows "Multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)/windows/sytem32/kdcom.dll", usually that has loaded and it is the next driver in the boot order that it is hanging on, not the kdcom.dll.

#9 CompXP64

CompXP64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2011 - 11:11 PM

Since you have passed this point, this is just for future reference. When your screen shows "Multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)/windows/sytem32/kdcom.dll", usually that has loaded and it is the next driver in the boot order that it is hanging on, not the kdcom.dll.

Actually, all of the help forums that I've run across say otherwise- The reason that it's not progressing past kdcom.dll is that it can't finish loading it. About 95% of the solutions I found (for the problem I was having) suggested copying kdcom.dll from the windows install disc, and it resulted in the fixing of their computers.

#10 CompXP64

CompXP64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2011 - 11:20 PM

To get back on topic....

I ran Install->Repair on the Windows XP Pro x64 SP2 Installation Disk
Computer now boots windows but still wouldn't load into safe mode until I ran setup (like "windows initial setup").
After allowing the computer to Setup windows, it rebooted.

Now, every time the computer starts to boot into windows, it reboots.
It will not boot into safe mode either.
It gets to the black screen (before the windows splash screen), then reboots.

#11 PolaBar

PolaBar

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2011 - 11:49 PM

Actually, all of the help forums that I've run across say otherwise- The reason that it's not progressing past kdcom.dll is that it can't finish loading it. About 95% of the solutions I found (for the problem I was having) suggested copying kdcom.dll from the windows install disc, and it resulted in the fixing of their computers.

Yeah, sorry my bad there. I should have said that it may be the next in order, not usually is.

Back to the subject at hand, see if this applies:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310396

Edited by PolaBar, 02 January 2011 - 11:53 PM.

#12 CompXP64

CompXP64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2011 - 06:01 AM

A bit of additional info: This is Win XP Pro x64 edition
Safemode hangs on acpitabl.dat for a minute, then flashes to a black screen with a blinking _ for a second, then reboots.

Have found another website which talks about the same issue (hxxp://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t487233-bootup-stops-at-acpitabl-dat.html <---granted, it was 2006..) but they suggested it was due to the VIA drivers for the Motherboard (I have an ASUS A8V Deluxe).... They suggest the problem is caused by outdated drivers. I currently have the VIA 4.3 Drivers, but see that there are VIA 5.90a drivers available.

PolaBar- I'll try your suggestion about the kernel replacement tomorrow if this VIA-driver thing doesn't work.

Edited by CompXP64, 03 January 2011 - 08:09 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users