Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

very slow laptop

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 carz88

carz88

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 21 December 2010 - 05:14 PM

Hi.
A friend of mine recently gave me an "old" laptop..maybe 3/4 years old. Its an HP pavillion dv6000 running Vista. It's sooooo slow!!

It constantly freezes in normal operation. I tried running both disk cleanup and defragment, but they dont seem to work. They either go on and on for days and never seem to do anything or they freeze up.

I'm also unable to run any of the Windows updates, and i'm positive its a valid copy of windows.

Any help would be great. Thanks a lot.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 21 December 2010 - 05:15 PM

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

#3 carz88

carz88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2010 - 09:40 PM

Here is the link:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/AYcEryeoQXpg2IBYSmWygmO

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 21 December 2010 - 10:45 PM

Well you need m ore RAM for windows Vista to run at its very best.

Your CPU is very lacking, and I would recommend downgrading to Windows XP you will get more out of your system.

#5 carz88

carz88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2010 - 07:39 PM

Ok thanks, I'll certainly look into doing some upgrades. Is there anything I can do in the meantime to help it run a bit faster?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users