Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is my securty setup secure enough?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ArtistInNeed

ArtistInNeed

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 21 December 2010 - 04:35 PM

I've been having some major virus paranoia over the past 5 months when I got a very bad infection.
Just got a new laptop for my birthday and I want to keep this as safe as possible.

Currently my security setup is...
-Microsoft Security Essentials
-Windows firewall (should I change?)
-Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
-Firefox with
-NoScript
-Adblock Plus

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 21 December 2010 - 04:51 PM

You're good to go :)

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 ArtistInNeed

ArtistInNeed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2010 - 04:56 PM

Thanks brother!
How often would you suggest I scan with Malwarebytes?

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 21 December 2010 - 04:58 PM

Once a week should be just fine, if you play safe with your computer.
"Quick scan", which doesn't take long is usually sufficient.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 21 December 2010 - 04:59 PM

I've been having some major virus paranoia over the past 5 months when I got a very bad infection.
Just got a new laptop for my birthday and I want to keep this as safe

Do you make backups on a regular basis?

Edited by Didier Stevens, 21 December 2010 - 05:00 PM.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#6 ArtistInNeed

ArtistInNeed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2010 - 05:33 PM

Just got a new laptop for my birthday and I want to keep this as safe

Do you make backups on a regular basis?

I don't with this computer, atleast yet. After the infection on the other computer we bought an external hard drive, I then copied our important files over using a linux mint USB drive, formatted the computer re-installed windows XP and put our files back on. This was after intensive scanning and removal of several viruses. The only reason I did the re-format was because the viruses had badly damaged windows XP.

Now with my windows 7 laptop I'll backup my files every once and a while, but I haven't gotten around to it at least yet.

Are you trying to tell me to keep this laptop away from the other computer? The method I used to re-format should be sufficient right? If I copied th files using linux Mint a windows malware wouldn't have been able to run and jump onto the hard drive in the linux environment?

#7 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,706 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2010 - 03:16 AM

Are you trying to tell me to keep this laptop away from the other computer?

No, not at all.

I just saw your list and noticed you didn't mention backups. Backups allow you to recover from incidents & disasters (not only malware related).

Didier Stevens

SANS ISC Senior Handler

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#8 ArtistInNeed

ArtistInNeed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2010 - 01:26 PM

Are you trying to tell me to keep this laptop away from the other computer?

No, not at all.

I just saw your list and noticed you didn't mention backups. Backups allow you to recover from incidents & disasters (not only malware related).

Oh, I see! That makes sense, sorry for the misunderstanding. I'm glad you chose to help out!

#9 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,706 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2010 - 02:47 PM

Oh, I see! That makes sense, sorry for the misunderstanding. I'm glad you chose to help out!

No problem, you're welcome! And remember, if you're going to make backups, make time to try out your restore method at least once. If you can't restore a backup, it's useless.

Didier Stevens

SANS ISC Senior Handler

#10 zongamin

zongamin

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 28 December 2010 - 12:29 PM

Almost identical to my own set up although I prefer Chrome to FF, and don't bother with NoScript.

As well as Adblock (with EasyList and EasyPrivacy subscriptions) I use Ghostery - I find it useful extra tool - not as 'strong' as NoScript, but not as much work either.

I run a Malwarebytes scan about once a week.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users