Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop drivers instalation order

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jbenny2

Jbenny2

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 21 December 2010 - 02:39 PM

I've just got a second hand Dell D630 laptop which i've reformatted and reinstalled a new version of XP professional on.

However i still can't use 90% of the laptops features as i need to install all the correct drivers

I've been to the dell website and i can select all the drivers i need but what order do i need to install them.

The main one i need to get working is wireless networking so that i can connect to the internet and sort the other drivers out.

Can i get a CD with all the drivers on which will install them all with one click?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 21 December 2010 - 03:10 PM

Install chipset or motherboard first always.
Then I install video sound modem & networks
Once the chioset & motherboard is installed I dont think it really matters anymore but it used to back in the non plug and play era.
The order would be so that the system could allocate the correct IRQ's
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 Jbenny2

Jbenny2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 23 December 2010 - 05:50 AM

I think i may have done them in the wrong order. do i need to undo them and then start again, or can i just start with the correct one and work though. Can i use system restore to undo the driver installs?

#4 CohenTheBarbarian

CohenTheBarbarian

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2010 - 06:35 AM

It's not going to damage your system if you didn't install the chipset drivers first. Just install it now, then install the appropriate wireless drivers. Just make sure you look up your drivers by your service tag and not model number, since dell will ship the same model number computer in a bunch of different configurations.

#5 NuckenFutz

NuckenFutz

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2010 - 08:56 PM

I have a Dell Latitude D610 and when I put a fresh version of XP on it I just went to the sell site and downloaded everything I needed in random order and it worked fine. I have never heard you have to install the drivers in a certain order though...

Are you sure you got the right drivers? The wrong ones would cause it to hang

Edited by NuckenFutz, 23 December 2010 - 09:03 PM.

#6 Netmanone

Netmanone

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 24 December 2010 - 04:41 AM

Dells advice for order of loading drivers for the D630 is:

The following list is an overview of the correct order to install drivers on Dell desktops and portables. After reinstalling Microsoft® Windows®, follow the order listed when reinstalling drivers. It is recommended that you print this list for reference when installing drivers.
Note: Some devices may not function properly if the drivers are installed out of order.
1. Desktop System Software (DSS) or Notebook System Software (NSS) - A vital utility that provides critical updates and patches for the operating system. If you are reinstalling Windows or updating all drivers, it is important that this software be installed first. This is located under the System Utilities Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

Note : NSS and DSS may not be available for all desktop and notebook products.

2. Chipset - Helps Windows control system board components and controllers. This is located under the Chipset Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

3. Video Adapter - Enhances video performance. This is located under the Video Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

4. Network Interface Card (NIC) - Enhances the network controller for Internet or network access. This is located under the Network Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

5. Laptops Only: Dell Quickset or Dell Control Point Manager (DCP) - Controls power management, ambient light sensor, wireless profiles, and security features on laptops. This is located under the Applications on the Drivers and Downloads page.
6. Audio Adapter - Enables and enhances the audio controller. This is located under the Audio Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

7. Modem - Allows dial-up capability. This is located under the Communication Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

8. Wireless Network Card - Enables and enhances the wireless network controller. This is located under the Network Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

9. Touchpad, Pointer, Trackstick, Mice, and Keyboards - Enhances the pointing device features. This is located under the Input Device Drivers Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

10. Other Devices
• Intel vProTM or AMTTM - Enhances system manageability. This is located under the Chipset Category on on the Drivers and Downloads page.
• Bluetooth ® Module located under the Network Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
• Dell Wireless Mobile Broadband Cards located under the Communication Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
• PCMCIA/Smartcard controller located under the Security Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
• Touch Screen Digitizer Enables touch screen mouse control available on select Dell laptops. This is located under the Input Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

Good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users