Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

change.log in the 'System Volume Information' dir

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 LHGoldstein

LHGoldstein

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 21 December 2010 - 02:09 PM

I am having problems with the change.log in the 'System Volume Information' directory. Problems include:
  • Problem with delayed write to the file.
  • Sometimes the volume will not mount.
  • Sometimes it will mount but not assign a drive letter.
  • Trouble sharing the volume on my network. It looses the shares, and has hung the machine when I've attempted to re-share.
  • If I get it to connect locally, the machine may hang if I try to add more that a few small files to it.
I cannot view the file because when I try to enter the 'System Volume Information' directory, I get a pop-up telling me that the is not accessible and that access is denied.

This is a fairly new 2 TB SATA disk in an external USB/SATA enclosure. Its utilization is under 10%. The disk is set up for quick dismount (as opposed to performance). I've tried to access the disk under XP, Vista and W7. With similar results.

I've run chkdsk on the drive several times. Problem have occurred (problems with an index, problem with the disk file bitmap to name a few), which the chkdsk seems to clear up.

TIA for any advice. I need the space that this volume would afford me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users