I am having problems with the change.log in the 'System Volume Information' directory. Problems include:
- Problem with delayed write to the file.
- Sometimes the volume will not mount.
- Sometimes it will mount but not assign a drive letter.
- Trouble sharing the volume on my network. It looses the shares, and has hung the machine when I've attempted to re-share.
- If I get it to connect locally, the machine may hang if I try to add more that a few small files to it.
This is a fairly new 2 TB SATA disk in an external USB/SATA enclosure. Its utilization is under 10%. The disk is set up for quick dismount (as opposed to performance). I've tried to access the disk under XP, Vista and W7. With similar results.
I've run chkdsk on the drive several times. Problem have occurred (problems with an index, problem with the disk file bitmap to name a few), which the chkdsk seems to clear up.
TIA for any advice. I need the space that this volume would afford me.
Edited by LHGoldstein, 21 December 2010 - 02:03 PM.