Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stuck in boot cycle.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 TuckerG

TuckerG

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 21 December 2010 - 01:59 PM

My first post here. I will try to not be too annoying.
Windows XP media center edition 2005 on an HP

I picked up a fake virus scan virus yesterday. I ran Spybot, Malwarebytes and did a boot time scan with avast.
They turned up Fraud.Sysguard, some Java thing which was a new one to me and SKYNET which I had dealt with awhile back and thought was gone.
After I ran the scans and tried to clean things up Internt Explorer would still give me the error screen.
I tried to do System Restore but it would fail to restore to any restore points.

I was toying with the idea of running Malwarebytes in safe mode so I used msconfig to boot into safe mode when I restart the computer.
It would appear this is where I really messed up. Now none of the options I choose will run. It shows the black XP sceen for a second and then reboots. Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, Safe Mode with Command Prompt, Last Known Good Configuration all lead to reboot over and over.

If I go to the advanced options menu I can disable automatic restart on system failure and I get a blue screen telling me to run CHKDSK/F and then restart. Also Technical information: STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF898E524,0xC0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000)

Most of what I know about computers comes fron dealing with viruses and trying to figure out how to get rid of them by reading sites like this one. I have a feeling I'm in for another big learning experience. :angry:

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TuckerG

TuckerG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 21 December 2010 - 07:37 PM

I thought this was going to be extremely difficult but a little help went a long way.
I was told to press F10 at start-up and that put me in PC recovery. I ran that and with a little extra work reinstalling some applications everything is running smoothly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users