Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Replaced DC jack on Dell laptop - now AC adpter not recognized

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 AlinNYC

AlinNYC

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 21 December 2010 - 01:48 PM

I have a Dell Inspiron 9200 laptop running Windows XP SP2. I recently suffered a broken DC jack, which eventually caused the computer to stop powering up. I have now replaced the DC jack and the laptop runs OK on plug in power. But I get the "AC adapter not recognized" error message at start up, and so battery won't charge and I believe system isn't running at full speed. AC adapter is shown in BIOS (updated to version 001) as "unknown." The AC adapter I'm using is a very new Dell OEM, bought from them when the power problem first appeared. Battery is reasonably new and was charging OK before the DC jack problem. Dell has no answers. Is there anything I can do here, or am I doomed to using a slow computer on AC power only?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 21 December 2010 - 01:56 PM

Interesting that Dell has no answers when it is their equipment and their adapter that you have hooked up to the laptop. :whistle:

Do you still have the original power adapter that came with the laptop and does it still work?

Does the original plug fit the new power jack?

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 AlinNYC

AlinNYC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2010 - 02:56 PM

Yes, I still have the original adapter. It fits but it doesn't work, with either the old or new jacks. But now I think the reason it stopped working is that I bent the center pin while fiddling around with the old broken jack trying to make it work.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2010 - 03:35 PM

Okay, to get past this hardware I.D. issue.
I believe laptop adapters have hardware I.D.s built into them to which the laptop's chipset looks for.

This suggestion will make one adapter useless while saving the original.

This will involve cutting the wire off of the new adapter and cutting the damaged plug off of the original adapter.

This will also increase the length of the wire if you cut the wire on the new adapter as close to the power supply as possible.

You have to make sure you correctly match the wires!!! Failure to observe the correct wire to wire will cause reverse polarity and can damage your laptop!

Shielded wire goes to shielded wire.

Red to red

Black to black.

Any other color goes to matching color.

If for any reason, one wire has a wire color code that does not match the color code of the other, please post back here and let me know.

I suggest when you connect the wires together it is best done by putting shrink tubing on the wires and then tinning and soldering the wires together.
Then lightly heat the shrink tubing so it shrinks to conform to the wiring.

This is better than twisting the wires together and using electrical tape, which to me, this is less secure and looks quite awful in appearance.

What you will have now is the original adapter with its original hardware I.D.
A longer wire than before.
A new un-damaged plug at the end of the wire.

Most of the supplies I mentioned above can be found at any Radio Shack store.

Those supplies are listed below:

Solder

Soldering iron.

Shrink tubing for electrical wiring.

Hope this helps solve your problem.

Any questions or concerns please feel free to ask before continuing with my suggestion.

Please be advised, this procedure will void any warranties you had on your newer adapter and can no longer be returned for repair or refund.

Proceed at your own risk.

Please be sure your original adapter is in fact supplying power before you cut any wires, this can be done by checking the plug end with a VOM multi-meter set to DC volts. If the meter reads any voltage above 12 volts DC, the original adapter is still good and what I suggested above will work.

Please keep me updated.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 AlinNYC

AlinNYC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2010 - 04:11 PM

Thank you so much for that quick and detailed reply. I would think that Dell's pricey replacement adapter should have the proper chipset in it to mate with the computer it's ostensibly for, but your possible solution sounds like a possible win-win workaround, so I'll give it a try. I have some of the materials here, but it will take me some time to get the other parts together given my busy holiday travel schedule. I'll get the stuff together and perform the repair as soon as possible and return here to report, although it may take a few days.

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2010 - 01:56 AM

Okay and thanks for the update.

I'll watch this thread for your next post.

If you have any problems or questions, please feel free to ask. :wink:

Bruce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users