Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

recovering data from hd

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 sloboat

sloboat

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 21 December 2010 - 09:58 AM

I have an old laptop that won't power up. Is there a way to recover the music and other things from this computer?

Thanks,
Sloboat

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trezax

Trezax

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2010 - 10:54 AM

You have to remove your physical hard drive and connect it to another laptop so you can backup your files.

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 21 December 2010 - 12:34 PM

As Trezax suggested, but left out that you have to connect the hard drive you are attempting to extract the data from as a SLAVE drive on another computer.

Are you in any way going to attempt to revive this laptop that won't power up?

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 sloboat

sloboat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2010 - 03:33 PM

The internal ac power jack broke, ordered new one and installed it, but laptop still won't power up. Don't know what to try next. Still trying, but if all fails, would like to retrieve my data from hard drive.

#5 yorkred

yorkred

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2010 - 04:01 PM

You have to remove your physical hard drive and connect it to another laptop so you can backup your files.

if it is SATA you can put it in a desktop

if it is laptop PATA you need some type of adapter

#6 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2010 - 04:17 PM

If the drive is IDE this is the type of adapter that you need.
Then you can simply disconnect the cdrom drive from another system and connect it there.
That way you dont have to worry about master/slave issues.
I do this all the time
In the beginning there was the command line.

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2010 - 05:12 PM

The internal ac power jack broke, ordered new one and installed it, but laptop still won't power up. Don't know what to try next. Still trying, but if all fails, would like to retrieve my data from hard drive.

Can you post the make and full model number of this laptop?

You say you replaced the ac power jack, did you solder it in and did you make sure you applied solder to both sides of the circuit board?

Sometimes these boards are double sided and require solder to be applied to both sides in order for the circuit to be complete.

Did you also make sure you soldered all the lugs to the board?

If you have a VOM meter you can double check the connections from the socket to the circuit traces on the board.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2010 - 06:27 PM

I am adding a PM to my post which was sent to me from Sloboat.

PM text:
mrbruce, the laptop i posted about is an acer 5050. after replacing the broken ac power jack it won't power up. i would like to revive it, since it worked fine untill the power jack broke but i can't get it to do anything. Don't know what to do next.

I have to admit the Acer web site is getting buggy, I had to delete all my cookies just to get the web site to stop offering a link to a display device I looked up a week ago, no matter how many times I pointed it to the Acer 5050 laptop. :blink:

Besides they make it impossible to direct link to a specific piece of hardwares download pages.
But any-who this is a starting page. (not that it points to your product support) :whistle:
http://support.acer.com/us/en/product_support.aspx?tab=1

I am going to try and find some schematics or circuit diagrams for this laptop, I'll post back any helpful information that I can locate for you.

Bruce.

#9 sloboat

sloboat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2010 - 06:37 PM

the laptop in question is an acer aspire 5050. a new power board & jack was installed with screws, no soldering was required. thanks for the advice i'll keep trying. sloboat

#10 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2010 - 08:00 PM

a new power board & jack was installed with screws, no soldering was required.

Would this mean that all you had to do was to connect a plug to the board once it was installed?

I edited my original post HERE do to the fact I found a service manual for your laptop, the link is posted below.

http://www.intellcity.ru/content-2/service-manual-notebook-Acer/service-manual-Acer-Aspire-5050-3050-Series.pdf

This manual should help you service this laptop correctly.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 25 December 2010 - 11:54 PM.

#11 sloboat

sloboat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2010 - 08:40 PM

the powerboard & receptacle is one piece, it attaches to the mobo with 4 screws. i reassembled the machine & plugged in the power cord but it doesn't power up. thanks for the link to the service manual, i'll keep working on it. sloboat

#12 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2010 - 09:49 PM

Okay I wish you luck.

That service manual is very well detailed and can even be save on your computer, which is better then viewing it over the web, which requires a download into memory each time it is accessed. :thumbup2:

Bruce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users