Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win7 Public & User Folders Query?.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 21 December 2010 - 06:35 AM

I noticed while in my User folder while organizing my files and folders that it said at the bottom (two locations) I then checked and found that there are links to all my files and folders in the Public as well as my User folders. Are these the same files in each folder or does Win7 make a duplicate copy of each of my files meaning I have twice as much info on my hard drive. As this is my personal PC with no other users I see no need for these "Public" files. If I delete the Public Folder will this also delete the files from my User Folder?
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 22 December 2010 - 09:19 AM

Your personal Libraries include the corresponding Public folders (Pictures, Videos, etc.). A Library is not another copy of a file/folder, but a collection of ones you include in that Library. See here.

Note that the Documents Library is different from the regular Documents folder, as you can include anything in the Library but actually have to move something into your Documents for it to show up there.

And deleting the Public folder will do no good, as the files will just come back. Believe me, I've tried. They don't take up much space, so I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. :)
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users