Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WiFI disconnects + browser redirects + Windows Update unreachable & not downloadable

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 rjevans33

rjevans33

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 21 December 2010 - 05:01 AM

Hi all,

I have a Dell Vostro laptop, XP with SP3. Started acting strange a few weeks back. I dont recall installing any software or other changes prior to this time. While connected to WiFi and surfing, after a few minutes the WiFi config window would open and state that Windows could not config the WiFi and to start Windows ZeroConfig. Along with this problem, Firefox would get re-directed to all sorts of odd places, even if no button was being clicked. Disable/Re-enable the radio had to be done via System Manager and rarely got things working. A reboot is usually required to get the WiFi working again. Sometimes the reboot does not complete and all I get on my screen is my wallpaper with no icons.

The laptop is running Spybot, SpywareBlaster, Ad-Aware, AVG, and Symantec Endpoint Protection. I updated all these to the latest rev and ran full scans, one at a time. A few trojans were found by Spybot. AVG found nothing during the scan but reported another trojan while Ad-Aware was running. Ad-Aware found cookies and one trojan. Tools each reported that what they found was successfully removed/quarantined.

I tried to update Windows by going to the Windows Update Site using the link in IE6: Tools->Windows Update. The link gives the error: "The page cannot be displayed" with "Cannot find server" in the window title bar. I can get to the Microsoft main page @ www.microsoft.com. I went to Security & Updates link to Windows Update. From there I can "Try Windows Update Today" and "Review License Agreement". After this the web page says "The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view." I dug around and found the link to download the Window Update Installer exe file. When I select the link and click "Save As" I get the "The page cannot be displayed" with "Cannot find server" in the window title bar problem again.

I'm not sure if I have a bunch of separate problems or one infection with fingers in many pies.
Looking forward to any assistannce you can provide.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users