Posted 21 December 2010 - 01:22 AM
It all started with an Internet search to determine market value for an antique pickup truck of mine. I vaguely recall an alert going off at one site, and I think I was suddenly bombarded with cookie requests, none of which I allowed. Since I have dealt with false alerts before (ex.: VirusBurst), I didn't pursue it at the time. About a week or so later I ran an AVG virus scan in which 4 viruses were detected, 2 of which (7UNQTONS) names included the year and make of my truck. The 2 others were (2NARM9MN) and something roughly called lsass.exe Trojan horse Dropper.Generic2.BPOB. All were "moved to virus vault", only I also got a pop-up upon further exploration, in the case of the last 2: "Object is inaccessible". I decided to locate them myself, using the addresses shown in Admin\Local Settings\ & Admin\Application Data\, only to find those designations no longer visible for me to access. I sensed that things weren't right. My Internet connection became prone to extreme sluggishness and freeze-ups, which could only be countered by manual shutdown. Lock-ups started occurring with regularity, especially when I tried to download the latest anti-virus updates. I decided to employ System Restore, but was not surprised to find that there were no restore points to go back to. I upgraded to IE8---didn't improve things. I cannot get AVG updates. Every time I try, it locks up the pc. The same Windows updates keep getting recycled. Curiously, DVDs are no longer viewable in the DVD drive, and CDs and MP3s cannot be listened to anymore. For some reason, IE8 can't navigate inside the amazon.com website, among others. I have run AVG virus scan twice since, with the old updates, no new results. Predictably, System Recovery does not appear to be an option any longer, either. Of course, I can physically remove the infected boot drive and replace it, but in view of the latest revelations described below, I'm not sure this will solve my problem.
I had decided to use a different pc to get the latest security updates, upgrades, etc.---this one a laptop with wireless access. Unfortunately, as I suspected would happen since I was using the same Internet connection, I immediately began to experience problems with it. There were frequent lock-ups, shutdowns, and Internet blockage. I could navigate Internet, so long as I didn't attempt security updates or upgrades. Inexplicably, and after considerable effort, I did manage to download some Windows updates before the pc shut itself down again due to yet another "problem". After that, no Internet access when it rebooted.
It appears to me that I am being targeted through my Internet connection, in which case I suppose that anything I do will be blocked or compromised. I may contact my Internet provider next, but thought I would post this in the meantime, since that may not help either. Also, there are some files on the infected drive I wish to back up on another HD (which will be quarantined), before I get around all the blocks and finally reformat the thing.