Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Immediate BSOD on Startup

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 aramkolesar

aramkolesar

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 21 December 2010 - 01:01 AM

My new HP laptop has developed a problem in which the blue screen of death appears after log-in. I have Windows 7 Home 64-bit. This problem began after I installed a questionable program and my system immediately crashed and restarted. Sometimes Windows will start and run, but always BSODs less than a minute later.

I have received two different screens, although they disappear pretty quickly, so it's hard to get down what they say. The more frequently-appearing one says "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL." The other seems more generic, and the only text I can remember from it is "STOP ox000000000001" (don't know how many zeroes in that message; sorry). I looked up the first message, and that seems to be related to a hardware error, but that seems unlikely because this computer is brand new, factory-made, and has had no modifications done to the hardware.

System Restore did not help. I also ran the BIOS test on the memory and hard drive. I tried running the HP Run-In Test, but this just continued for hours into multiple "iterations," although in none of them did it detect any problems. Due to this issue's coincidence with the program I torrented and the newness of the computer, I feel like this has to be a virus, and not a hardware failure.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by hamluis, 21 December 2010 - 03:40 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CohenTheBarbarian

CohenTheBarbarian

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2010 - 04:28 AM

Are you able to boot into Safe Mode? Tap F8 as your computer is starting, you should get a boot menu - there should be an option for safe mode.

There may also be an option for "Repair Your Computer" - if you can't boot into safe mode, give this one a shot, and see it automatic startup repair finds anything.

If neither of these works, there are more advanced startup repair options available, post back here.

#3 jcarroll0926

jcarroll0926

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2010 - 09:55 PM

i am having the same issue. i get a blue screen everytime windows tries to load on my computer. i am running on a Dell Precision M6500 Windows 7 64-bit computer. this started happening around 10:30am this morning after i was surfing the google website and an "update" saying i had viruses that had to be removed and windows was using anti-virus to remove them. i now suspect this was a rogue virus that infected my computer. i am not able to load into safe mode, and tried to restore using the CD-ROM operating disc but i get an error saying that system cannot be repaired or restored due to error. i tried to run sfc/scannow from the command prompt but it says that a system repair is pending, which i don't understand, this is my work computer and i would really like to avoid erasing my programs and files...my comp is only 1 month old from Dell! please help!

#4 aramkolesar

aramkolesar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2010 - 10:29 PM

Hi,
I cannot boot into Safe Mode; the same error occurs.

I don't seem to have a "Repair Computer" option at start-up. I am currently returning the computer to factory settings, which is less than ideal, but I have had this computer for very little time, and so I won't be losing too much. Hopefully this works.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users