Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bleeping Browser!!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tnt4me

tnt4me

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 20 December 2010 - 10:37 PM

Greetings all;
I know i've read here somewhere about someone asking "why does it take so long for my browser to open??"well,now it's me doin the askin!!!lol..It usually takes a good 10 to 15 secs,which is very long.Once i'm up and running everything goes really smooth.But getting there is taking a bit too long. I guess i can consider myself lucky if that is the extent of my computer problems.Everybody have a safe and happy christmas.cheers!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tnt4me

tnt4me
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2010 - 10:43 PM

Sorry i forgot to add that i am using firefox!!

#3 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,735 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 20 December 2010 - 11:09 PM

In case of Firefox, it's usually about add-ons.

Close Firefox. Go Start>All Programs>Mozilla Firefox, click on Mozilla Firefox (safe mode). Same issue?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#4 tnt4me

tnt4me
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2010 - 12:14 AM

Thank you my friend,that explains everything.Just one more quick question.What do you think about running the link scanner only (AVG)With MSE?I like the real time link scanning which i kind of missed with MSE.I have'nt had any conflicts at all.The rest of my security package includes your sites recommendations(Malwarebytes,Spybot,Ad aware and MSE)The only thing i replaced but still keep in my "disinfecting toolbox"is Spybot which I kind of replaced with link scan(AVG)I do realize that they are not the same at all.I keep spybot in my toolbox file and if i need it i just have to open and run it.Thanks again.

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,735 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 21 December 2010 - 12:23 AM

You're welcome :)
Personally, I try to stay away fro AVG.

Instead of AVG Link Scanner, I suggest WOT: http://www.mywot.com/en/download

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#6 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 21 December 2010 - 02:06 AM

Personally, I try to stay away fro AVG.

FWIW I agree with Broni regarding AVG. M$E is good, but I don't like the fact that you cannot disable automatic definition updates and it also creates too many restore points thru it's updates (also cannot be disabled unless you disable system restore...at least not in Win 7). I prefer Avast FREE AV & MalwareBytes Pro (registered) version. It costs US $24.95 (money well spent, IMHO) and includes on demand malware scanning, real-time malware scanning and blocking; automatic malicious website identification and blocking; a scheduler for software and malware signature database updates; a Flash Scan mode which scans volatile memory and autorun objects; and priority customer support. MBAM works nicely alongside most popular AV's & FW's (unlike SpyBot's tea-timer, although I'm basing that only on what I've read since I've never used SpyBot)

Edited by Union_Thug, 21 December 2010 - 02:17 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users