Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Web Browsers Causing Cpu Usage

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Krumbz

Krumbz

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 05 December 2005 - 11:20 PM

Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox both using alot of CPU Usage..

Happens with some websites, not all. But on forums and websites of that nature i my CPU Usage jumps from 2% to 85% and my laptop gets louder.

Currently I have 704MB of Ram. So ram should not be the issue.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Ty =)
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 welco

welco

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 05 December 2005 - 11:29 PM

While it is normal to have your CPU usage "jump" when refreshing, going back, or whatever I don't believe it should be using 85% but I'm not really sure. I also don't understand why it would get any louder.
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice
1GB GeIL Value Memory Looking for something better...
EPoX EP-9NPAJ
Hitachi 7K80
Jaton 6600GT
400W HiPRO

#3 Krumbz

Krumbz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 05 December 2005 - 11:33 PM

I'm on a laptop. Not sure about the innerds.. But sounds like a fan or something of that nature is gets louder.. then stops when i close out the web browser... But the web browser's are definetely using way to much CPU Usage.
Posted Image

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 06 December 2005 - 04:02 AM

Temperature controlled fans - when the CPU works harder it gets hotter so the fans spin faster = more noise.
I'm not sure what causes this - it happened to me the other day when I had a bunch of Word documents open - closed the (extra) documents and everything returned to normal. It may be something to do with page file fragmentation - try running a scan and defrag in Safe Mode:

Do some basic maintenance:
  • Clean your internet cache and temporary files:
    Click Start and Run then type in cleanmgr this will start the windows disk cleanup tool.
    Tick the boxes beside Temporary internet Files, Recycle Bin and Temporary Files then click OK

• Schedule an Error Check (Scandisk).
    How to find scandisk: Start>My Computer. Right click the C: drive then Properties>Tools tab, click on Check Now. In the window that opens tick 'Automatically fix file system errors' and 'Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors'. When you click 'Start' Windows will say the error checker cannot run now and do you want it to run at the next boot? Click 'yes' and then reboot.

• When that's finished reboot in Safe Mode and do a defrag.
    If you are not sure how to boot in Safe Mode there is a tutorial here: Safe Mode
    Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defragmenter
    They will take some time but at least you will know your hard drive is working correctly and tidied up.

• Check how much free space you have on your hard drive.
    Start>My Computer click once on your C: drive and look in the Details box on the left.

• Reboot normally and see if there's any improvement.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users