Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help Troubleshoot My Build!

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 welco

welco

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 05 December 2005 - 10:57 PM

Hello, Just a newcomer here. I just built my very first computer (hooray!) and I've got a problem; When I go to boot up my computer starts fans start spinning hard drive is accessed but my monitor stays in "orange" mode. There are a few things in particular that have me worried. When I start up initially my CPU fan starts spinning but after the initial boot-up it stops spinning. It's an AMD Athlon if that's of any importance. Also, my power supply is a 20 pin but my motherboard uses a 24 pin. Is this my problem? Now I've checked all my jumpers probably a million times switched all the parts I can; hard drive and RAM, this one I'm posting this on is a socket 478 with an AGP slot, and made sure everything was seated properly another couple million times. So to review, I start my computer everything seems normal fans spin, hard drive is accessed, and then it gives me one short beep, which from my understanding of the Award-Phoenix BIOS means success, then nothing my fans keep spinning except my CPU fan which lurches occasionally. So, what gives?

My rig is as follows:
AMD Athlon 64 3000+
512MB Geil Memory
80GB Hitachi Deskstar
Chaintech VNF4 Ultra mobo
Radeon X550 (going to upgrade to 6800gt some day!)
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice
1GB GeIL Value Memory Looking for something better...
EPoX EP-9NPAJ
Hitachi 7K80
Jaton 6600GT
400W HiPRO

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2005 - 01:03 AM

You did not menition an adapter.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 welco

welco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2005 - 08:09 AM

You did not menition an adapter.

No, is it necessary? ...I have a feeling it is...
EPoX EP-9NPAJ
Hitachi 7K80
Jaton 6600GT
400W HiPRO

#4 welco

welco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2005 - 09:17 PM

Is that all you guys can think of? I'm going out to the store tomorrow so some more input would be appreciated!
EPoX EP-9NPAJ
Hitachi 7K80
Jaton 6600GT
400W HiPRO

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2005 - 11:27 AM

Yes it is neccessary to adapt a old PS to a new MB.

#6 welco

welco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2005 - 01:11 AM

Alright, I went out and ended up buying a completely new power supply (with 24 pins of course) and it's doing the same thing. Just to refresh your guys memory here is what it does. Everything powers up fans start spinning and then my computer beeps and my CPU fan spins down and now it is doing it no matter what fan port I plug it in be the CPU fan, case fan, or the other case fan port it just stops spinning and absolutely nothing shows up on my monitor. Meanwhile my fans continue to spin (except the CPU fan) and then I press the shut down button and it shuts down. What the heck?
EPoX EP-9NPAJ
Hitachi 7K80
Jaton 6600GT
400W HiPRO

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2005 - 02:50 AM

I know you stated that you reseated everything"a million time", but when you reseated the CPU did you check to see if a pin had folded over. It has been known to happen. It willseat flush and at the same time short out.

#8 welco

welco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2005 - 11:59 AM

Hmm... none of my pins had "folded over" thanks though. Also it's back to just having the fan that's connected to the cpu fan slot spin down. I plugged one of my case fans in and plugged my cpu fan in where the case fan was and after the beep the case fan spun down and the CPU fan kept going. Any other ideas?

Edited by welco, 10 December 2005 - 12:07 PM.

EPoX EP-9NPAJ
Hitachi 7K80
Jaton 6600GT
400W HiPRO

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2005 - 03:40 PM

It sounds to me as if the power regulator that supplies the processor has failed. It is defenintly is a low voltage problem.

#10 welco

welco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2005 - 06:16 PM

It sounds to me as if the power regulator that supplies the processor has failed. It is defenintly is a low voltage problem.

Alright so what do I need to do? I understand what you're saying but I'm not sure as to what I should do now. Also I have this thing that came with my case. I'm not quite sure what it is. But maybe it has something to do with this. Below is a picture of it circled in red.

http://tinypic.com/if03d2.jpg

That's not the case I have but that's the same part.

Edited by welco, 10 December 2005 - 07:19 PM.

EPoX EP-9NPAJ
Hitachi 7K80
Jaton 6600GT
400W HiPRO

#11 Rabbuk

Rabbuk

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 10 December 2005 - 10:56 PM

Hey,
I had a similar problem with one of my builds. It took me a lo gtime to troubleshoot it but i finally figured out that i hadn't seated my cpu fan properly so my cpu was overheating. Also if u need the thermal cpu compound for your cpu use it. Im not positive but it might help.
Rabbuk

[size=7]GO BEARS!

#12 welco

welco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2005 - 11:19 PM

Hey,
I had a similar problem with one of my builds. It took me a lo gtime to troubleshoot it but i finally figured out that i hadn't seated my cpu fan properly so my cpu was overheating. Also if u need the thermal cpu compound for your cpu use it. Im not positive but it might help.

Umm... I think my case is a little different. I already have applied Arctic Silver 5 and my fan was preinstalled on my heatsink so I'm pretty sure this couldn't be it. Also my heatsink doesn't feel hot at all so I'm pretty sure acklan is right, but, I'm not sure what to do now.
EPoX EP-9NPAJ
Hitachi 7K80
Jaton 6600GT
400W HiPRO

#13 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2005 - 10:27 AM

If it's the onboard regulator you can't do much. The way motherboard are made. You can't see it but motherboards have several layers to them. 2 to 8 layers of curcuits with repairing short of impossible, and very expensive.
2 options. Least expensive, a new motherboard.
Option 2 is a PowerLeap upgrade adapter. It has a built in power regulator thet supersedes the onboard regulator. I'm not sure this will work, since I have never used it for this reason. P-III adapter with a 1.4ghz chip is about $120.
The other problem is what else is wrong with the moherboard , if indeed this is the peoblem.

#14 welco

welco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2005 - 11:09 AM

Well it's rather impractical to spend even more than I did on my motherboard for something just to get it to work. So I'm going to talk to one of my friends and I'll test all my parts in his computer and then if everything goes well. I'll start looking for a new motherboard.
EPoX EP-9NPAJ
Hitachi 7K80
Jaton 6600GT
400W HiPRO

#15 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2005 - 11:18 AM