Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SUPERAntiSpyware

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 trashcan7

trashcan7

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 20 December 2010 - 02:17 PM

I've had SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition for a while now along with my AV (Avast), and other programs (Spybot S&D and MBAM).
Is this still recommended, or should I just replace it? I know it's always taken a lot of resources to start up and update.
Whe I tried opening it today, I noticed it took an insane amount of resources and basically locked up my computer. After a minute, the window still didn't open, so I had to close the process through Task Manager.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 20 December 2010 - 02:46 PM

I dont know if it is still recommended but I use all the programs that you listed above almost on a daily basis.
Spybot, although somewhat dated, still consistently finds things that others dont. (Has a great game in it too!)

Typically I will start all 4 of them up at the same time
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 20 December 2010 - 02:51 PM

I recommend using SUPERAntiSpyware Free as a separate stand-alone on-demand scanner. The free version does not provide real-time protection or scheduled scanning so there is no need for it to run at startup and waste system resources. You can always update the database definitions through the program's interface or manually download them from here.

-- Note: With some browsers links to SUPERAntispyware redirect to their home page. If that occurs just click the link under Definitiion Database that says Click here for more information.

The speed and ability to complete an anti-virus or anti-malware scan depends on a variety of factors.
  • The program itself and how its scanning engine is designed to scan: using a signature database vs heuristic scanning or a combination of both.
  • Options to scan for spyware, adware, riskware and potentially unwanted programs (PUPS).
  • Options to scan memory, boot sectors, registry and alternate data streams (ADS).
  • Type of scan performed: Deep, Quick or Custom scanning.
  • What action has to be performed when malware is detected.
  • A computer's hard drive size.
  • Disk used capacity (number of files to include temporary files) that have to be scanned.
  • Types of files (.exe, .dll, .sys, .cab, archived, compressed, packed, email, etc) that are scanned.
  • Whether external drives are included in the scan.
  • Competition for and utilization of system resources by the scanner.
  • Other running processes and programs in the background.
  • Interference from malware.
  • Interference from the user.
-- Note: Using two security scanning engines at the same time can cause each to interfere with the other, cause systems hangs, false detections, unreliable results and other unpredictable behavior.

To speed up your scans, uninstall unnecessary programs, clean out the temporary files or use ATF Cleaner first, temporarily disable any other real-time protection tools, close all open programs and do not use the computer during the scan. If the scan still seems slow or hangs, then try performing the scan in "safe mode".
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 20 December 2010 - 05:07 PM

I have used SUPERAntiSpyware for several years and even though it may not be my prime security program , I think it still has a lot to offer -

Spybot S&D along with Lavasoft AdAware seem to be too slow at doing the same things that S.A.S. can do -
We all get tracking cookies , even from this board it seems , as I have removed Bleeping Computer cookies with it quite often -
My M.S.E. seems to provide a great defense (if always updated) against many problems , but that extra bit always helps I feel -
Also it is also easier to install and run if your system gets hit by an unwanted item -

#5 trashcan7

trashcan7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2010 - 03:03 AM

I recommend using SUPERAntiSpyware Free as a separate stand-alone on-demand scanner. The free version does not provide real-time protection or scheduled scanning so there is no need for it to run at startup and waste system resources.

Oh, perhaps you misunderstood. I don't have it on my startup. I meant to say when I first open SUPERAntiSpyware, it takes a ton of resources - completely fills up on of the processor cores, locking anything out, and the amount of memory it was taking seemed to be continually increasing. It was only a minute or two later that the program opened.
It also does the same thing when I try to update it... just freezes and finishes the update a minute later.

Maybe I'll just try reinstalling it and see what happens.

Edit:
I just noticed on their homepage, they also offer a portable version. Since SUPERAntiSpyware is just used for its scanner, do you think the portable version should be good?

Edited by trashcan7, 21 December 2010 - 03:05 AM.

#6 trashcan7

trashcan7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2010 - 06:14 PM

By the way, a simple reinstalling fixed any problem of SAS hogging up system resources. It now opens almost instantly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users