Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphics problem with New Motherboard

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Peebo

Peebo

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 20 December 2010 - 12:09 PM

Good Afternoon Everyone,

My current situation is as follows. I had an Asus M2N-MX SE Plus motherboard for almost 2 years. I Recently installed a Hard Drive to save all my non essential files to only to discover that This board only had 2 SATA ports.

After a bit of research and some help from friends and "experts", I decided to go with the Asus M4A785-M board.I have attached my DxDiag file for a more comprehensive look at the rig.

Here's where the fun begins. After installing, crossing my fingers, and sacrificing a chicken I pressed the power button. To my relief the rig began to boot. That relief was short lived when I noticed the graphics signal dropping. The screen would go black for 5 to 10 seconds, then the signal would come through for about 3 seconds, then back to black.I first figured it was merely a driver issue, so I proceeded to use the setup cd muddling my way through with only being able to see the screen for 3 out of every 15 seconds. After the setup cd finished I restarted. Same problem. I managed to get into my display properties and lower my resolution to the lowest possible and it works fine, but any resolution higher than minimum the blinking returns. So far I have...

Rechecked all connections
Updated all drivers
re-installed old mobo (everything worked perfectly when I did)
prayed to Angelina Jolie for luck (was worth a shot)
Switched RAM slots around
Reseated Graphics Card
Cleared CMOS
Held Power button while reconnecting power cord

My last remaining thought is that my PSU may be too small. It's currently a 450w. However I can't currently afford a bigger one to test this theory.

Any suggestions or insights would be greatly appreciated.

Peebs

Edit, the attachment of the DxDiag file seemed to not work... can provide on demand if anyone wishes to see it

Second Edit. DxDiag now attached

Attached Files

Edited by Peebo, 20 December 2010 - 12:32 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 20 December 2010 - 01:05 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

Can you please post the make and model number of your monitor?

Which video port are you using to connect the monitor to the graphics port?

S-Video.

DVI.

Or

Standard video port.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Peebo

Peebo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2010 - 01:07 PM

Monitor is an Acer x223W

Connected through the DVI Port

The Nvidia 9800GT has no other ports.. or at least the one I have doesn't

#4 Peebo

Peebo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2010 - 01:37 PM

one other thing I forgot to mention. I can't get into the BIOS to check anything because the monitor will not show anything until windows loads with the low resolution. Which makes things a tad more difficult

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2010 - 01:40 PM

Please go to this link below.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-260.99-whql-driver.html

I realize you feel you have the latest driver for your video card, but I noticed a difference in the driver release dates of your DXdiag file VS. the release date on nVidia's web site.

Yours: Driver Date/Size: 10/16/2010 12:55:00, 6359552 bytes

Present nVidia driver: Release Date: 2010.10.25

Notice one is October 16 2010 which is yours and the new one is October 25 2010.

This may be a case where the driver was released and a bug was found after the driver was already released.
They may have replaced the original driver with one which had the bug removed or repaired.

It's worth a shot, I had an issue with a recent driver file that supports my nVidia 6200 AGP card, the driver was released with a bug in it, they have since corrected the issue.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 20 December 2010 - 01:41 PM.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2010 - 01:51 PM

I just seen your last post regarding your having issues while a driver has yet to be loaded from the operating system.

So this means we are NOT talking about a driver issue here at all, drivers only load while the operating system is up and running.

You're having issues while the system POST is taking place.

This is a hardware issue we need to correct.

I have yet to look up your monitor support pages to see if there is a possible issue with this device.

But it almost sounds to me like it is a possible issue, or your motherboard's BIOS firmware is lacking the support.

Let me get back to you shortly, but we CAN RULE OUT a driver as the cause of this issue.

Bruce.

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2010 - 02:10 PM

I am posting a support link to Acer for your monitor just for your convenience.

http://support.acer.com/acerpanam/monitor/0000/Acer/X223/X223nv.shtml

Bruce.

#8 Peebo

Peebo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2010 - 02:12 PM

Ok. Good, because I installed the driver from the link, and the DxDiag still shows the driver date as 10/16.

Late last night I took everything apart and re-installed the old Mobo and everything worked perfectly. I'm hoping it's just a BIOS setting, but if I can't see the BIOS i can't change it.

The Motherboard documantation refers to a Flash update, booting from a flash drive with an updated BIOS on it, but I've never owned a flash drive...

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2010 - 02:23 PM

Asus web site support for the Asus M4A785-M motherboard. You may have to choose OS.

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?model=M4A785-M&SLanguage=en-us

Just adding support options to this thread as I do my research.

Bruce.

#10 Peebo

Peebo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2010 - 02:59 PM

I managed to see the Post screen during all the blinking and Read something about abnormal readings from the power supply.

I groped my way through the BIOS and turned off the Surgy option at which point the monitor stayed on for the duration of viewing the BIOS.

Upon restarting the Monitor stayed on for the Post screen and Windows Loading screen, but as soon as I tried to raise the resolution, the monitor began it's blinking on and off again.

#11 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2010 - 03:00 PM

The latest BIOS firmware update is 1006 dated November 12 2010.

There are 11 BIOS updates for this motherboard, most updates update processor support.

I see one update related to ATI HD5850/5870 video cards which is version 0601.

But nothing related to your current video card which is a nVidia graphics card.

BIOS updates should not be taken lightly, some can fail and render the motherboard a non-bootable piece of trash if the BIOS flash was to fail for any reason.

Before you decide to Flash your BIOS chip, make sure the update is critical for stable operation of your computer.
DO NOT flash just because you want to be up-to-date. You really have to make sure you have a FAIL-SAFE method of doing this.
Asus does have flash utilities that are fail-safe and easy recovery options available in thee event a flash was to fail and your BIOS became corrupted.

Please do as much research as possible on the subject before attempting it.

Asus has documentation of this procedure on the motherboard's resource disk as well as on their web site.
Please read up on it before you even think about doing a BIOS chip flash and understand the possible risks involved.

The BIOS-Utilities section of the Asus download page is where the actual flash utility software cane be downloaded. The 11 BIOS (BIOS History) section is the 11 BIOS firmware updates released.

Check what version you currently have, by going to (For Win XP) START-PROGRAMS-ACCESSORIES-SYSTEM TOOLS-SYSTEM INFORMATION.

Here it will display your current BIOS version number and release date, check that against the Asus web sites BIOS updates to see which update you may already have.

Make sure all your drivers for the motherboard are up-to-date, check those on your system against the Asus web site's downloads.

Under OTHERs there are 2 downloads one is the following:

AMD HDMI Driver V5.10.0.5880 for Windows XP/XP 64bit. AMD HDMI Driver V6.0.1.5880 for Windows 32/64bit Vista &32/64bit 7.
AMD HDMI Driver V5.10.0.5880 for Windows XP/XP 64bit.
AMD HDMI Driver V6.0.1.5880 for Windows 32/64bit Vista &32/64bit 7.

Not sure if that one is needed or not.

I have your motherboard manual on my desktop, I am going to look through it real quick to become familiar with your motherboard and its BIOS setup utility.

I'll post back shortly.

Bruce.

#12 Peebo

Peebo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2010 - 03:15 PM

The current BIOS on board is version 0906 which is only 1 step behind the current one.

I Installed the HDMI drivers you listed with no change.

I'm starting to think my Power Supply may have to be upgraded.

#13 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2010 - 03:17 PM

Upon checking your motherboard manual I see the following under the spefications for GRAPHICS:

Err cant copy and paste out of the pdf file. <_<

Okay it says you have an on-board ATI RADEON HD4200 processor, what is the current situation with this intergrated chip? Do you have it disabled?

From my understanding we are working with an nVidia graphics card here correct?

Edited out a typo. :P

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 20 December 2010 - 03:18 PM.

#14 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2010 - 03:27 PM

Okay what is the output of the PSU, I believe I seen your PSU listed at the beginning of this thread, to which I think is back a page now because I can not see your initial post on this page.

I have yet to proceed to your BIOS setup utility on the owners manual, so I still intend to post back suggestions on settings that you can change.

I realize your having issues with getting a screen resolution that is better than 800x600 Pixels, actually your DXdiag states you should be able to choose a 1600x1200 screen resolution. So I want to try to get you there if it is possible.

Bruce.

#15 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2010 - 03:31 PM

Actually your motherboard supports DVI screen resolutions of up to 2560x1600 pixels.

Did you update your chip-set drivers for the Asus motherboard by any chance?

Bruce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users