Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reducing the size of the Windows Folder?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Unfortunato

Unfortunato

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 20 December 2010 - 11:31 AM

Hi all,

I'm just wondering if it's possible to reduce the size of the C:\Windows folder without any functionality problems? On the machine I'm currently running windows 7 on it's not a problem, as I've plenty of free space, and the Windows folder is less than 9Gb.

But just to see how 7 will run on an older machine as a little experiment, I guess I could do with more free space as the drive on the old machine is a mere 20Gb! Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 20 December 2010 - 07:12 PM

It's a pipe dream.

Depending on exactly how old the hardware is, 7 might not even install (much less run correctly). Finding Win7 drivers for really old hardware is nigh impossible, as well.

If you just want to toy with it, you might want to pick a nice Linux distro to put on there (I like Linux Mint). :)

But no, making the Windows folder smaller is not going to happen.

You could always put a bigger hard drive in there, but the old hardware is likely not worth the investment.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 Unfortunato

Unfortunato
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 20 December 2010 - 10:01 PM

Hi keyboardNinja, thanks for replying. :thumbup2:

Yep, I see your point about drivers for Win7 - it's amazing how often though, that I've seen newer OS's install on pretty old machines - sometimes XP drivers, amazingly, have done the trick!

I might just have a little play around with Linux, I've yet to try that - thanks for the suggestion! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users