Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Personal Settings

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 kmishlerpsu

kmishlerpsu

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 18 October 2004 - 01:06 PM

I know I am just not thinking hard enough, but if anyone could help me it would be much appriciated. I just spend the last week removing what I think is all of the "issues" on my computer. I had it all from trojans to the stupid cool web search whatever. To make matters worse my cable modem shorted out in the process. I still feel like my computer isn't running as well as before. (Thanks to all of you for the easy removal techniques!) Is there a list on this site of all possible viruses? If there is just let me know the section and I'll check them out myself. BUT, my real question is....after all of the enabling and disabling and deleting and whatever my personal settings are not permanent. Everytime I restart my computer the desktop wallpaper doesn't appear, the icons are all moved, and even some of my IE toolbars are active and inactive. None of my settings on the desktop or online are staying and they change everytime I turn on the computer. I know there is an easy solution for this and it's bugging me because I can't remember how to change this. I am being stupid, I guess it's just one of those things you never use so it goes to the back of your mind. Thanks again for all your help! I need to keep my fingers crossed from this point on. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2004 - 01:28 PM

There is no such list here. Many AV companies maintain their own lists of viruses, etc.---these continued to grow, and many companies assign different names to them, which makes an almost impossible task of creating one "super" list.
It sounds to me like you are attempting to clean your computer manually, which is a mistake. You need to install (and then update the definitions of) a good resident antivirus application(AVG, for example, has a free version well received on these boards), and let it scan your hard drive for ALL possible problems.
In addition to a resident AV, you should install and run Ad-Aware SE Personal, and Spybot search and destroy (update the definitions of these, as well, before running).
Your current problems may very well be caused by malware you have not found on your own; install these programs, let them do their work, and then report back here if you are still having these problems.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 18 October 2004 - 02:10 PM

aČ free
Ad-Aware
Spybot S&D
SpywareBlaster
SpywareGuard

Download them, update them, and then run them.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 kmishlerpsu

kmishlerpsu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2004 - 03:23 PM

Ok, I have had Ad-Aware and Spybot search and destroy for awhile. I made sure everything was updated and I also got AVG 7.0 and ran the update and scan. Any ideas why my computer is having restarting problems, is freezing up, and also the other question I had earlier about my personal settings?? :thumbsup: Thanks again. (BTW- thanks for the recommendation for AVG - it took of 11 more files the other 2 didn't find!)

#5 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 18 October 2004 - 03:32 PM

I was wondering if you have checked your Task Manager. In other words, Ctrl-Alt-Delete. Pressing those keys at the same time will pull up a window naming currently running processes. If you are unsure of what's supposed to be there and what isn't, list them all here and we can look into it. Also, are you familiar at all with Start - Run - msconfig? I don't want to confuse you so before I offer anything more, let us know what's running (Ctrl-Alt-Delete) and how deep your knowledge of msconfig is.

#6 kmishlerpsu

kmishlerpsu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2004 - 04:11 PM

Ok, the processes I have running currently are:
Explorer
Eboard
Avgemc
Avgcc
Wkcalrem
Dwheartbeatmonitor
Hidserv
Systray
Wtoolsa
Wsup
Mdm
Pib
Tbps
Qttask
Msuis400

and as far as the misconfig, I really have never used that before, nor do I know what it does. I used to use computers back when I was younger and computers only ran with MS-DOS prompts, so I do understand some of what I used back then.

#7 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2004 - 06:58 PM

Okay, give me a few minutes or so to check into each item on your list.
Depending on what I discover, we'll talk about msconfig then. Explorer and Systray are 'gotta have's' but let's see the others.
I have WinME and most of my 'expertise' is with WinME and Win98 - okay, who out there is laughing at me? LOL

Be back in a few with results -

#8 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2004 - 07:31 PM

Explorer - This is a must for the internet, explorer.

Eboard - eMachines multimedia keyboard manager. Required if you use the extra keys.

Avgemc - AVG Anti-Virus 7.0 Email Cleaner. Scans incoming and outgoing email for viruses.

Avgcc - AVG anti-virus control center. Also enables scheduled tests, Outlook E-mail plug-in and automatic updates.

Wkcalrem - Produces a pop-up reminder of events scheduled using the MS Works Calendar.

Dwheartbeatmonitor - associated with the Weatherbug. End task.

Hidserv - it is required only if you are using USB Audio Devices. On HP Computers, HIDSERV is the controller for the keyboard sound controls on the USB and PS/2 keyboards.

Systray - Some say it's okay to remove this, but I strongly suggest you don't.
Wtoolsa - remove this (end task). It's adware.
Wsup - End task.
Mdm - Added as a result of the WHITEHO or TRAPPY VIRUSES! End task!
Pib - I can't find anything on this that's definite. End task.
Tbps - WebSearch toolbar, HuntBar parasite variant. End task!
Qttask - This can be activated manually. End task is okay.
Msuis400 - I found nothing on this at all. If you don't recognize it in any way, end task.

Okay, here we go:
You've got some infections that need serious removal. I'm going to skip the MSCONFIG topic completely. The reason we "End Task" on things in our Task Manager is because we don't need them each and every moment, they can be enabled manually, or they are just resource hogs - which slows our systems down a lot. That is why I had you check it.
I need you to download and install HijackThis into its own folder if you don't already have it. Let me know if you need more information on this program if you don't have it.
These infections are causing your issues and serious slowdown.
If you do have HijackThis, scan a new log and post it in its entirety in our HijackThis logs and Analysis forum. We can get you functioning smoothly in no time.
Let us hear back from you.

#9 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 18 October 2004 - 10:16 PM

Hi kmishlerpsu :thumbsup:
Download HijackThis! (asTexasAngel67 suggested) http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/files/hijackthis.php

Click My Computer, then C:\
In the menu bar, File->New->Folder.
That will create a folder named New Folder, which you can rename to "HJT" or "HijackThis". Now you have C:\HJT\ folder. Put your HijackThis.exe there, and double click to run it.

Click on the Scan button and when it is finished click on the Save Log button. A Notepad window will open with the contents of this log. Click on Edit then click on Select all. Then click on Edit and then Click on Copy. Paste the contents into this forum (starting a "New Thread" with your problem).... HijackThis Logs and Analysis
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#10 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2004 - 08:36 AM

Ah, thanks Jacee. I should have been more specific with instructions in my post as Grinler suggests to do also and I'm sorry I didn't. Luckily, she knew how to do it all and has already posted her log. Thanks for the additional details.

#11 kmishlerpsu

kmishlerpsu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2004 - 02:47 PM

Thanks to all who aided with the return of my sanity!!! :flowers:
The only problem I now have is the initial reseting problem I had before. Everytime I shut down or boot up my desktop wallpaper is different and my icons on the desktop are all rearranged. Any idea what I can do to stop this? Thanks again. :thumbsup:

#12 Gruss

Gruss

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2004 - 08:47 AM

Hi kmishlerpsu:
Download the Layout zipwhich includes a couple of files from the Windows NT4 Resource Kit. To implement it, follow the instructions from the link that I posted above, or continue reading.

Place the Layout.dll in C:\Windows\System (Win95/98/ME) or %systemroot%\System32 (WinNT/2000/XP), and then double-click (Merge) the Layout.reg.

From now on, whenever you right-click on the 'Recycle Bin' or 'My Computer' icons, you will see a new option: "Save [or Restore] Desktop Icon Layout". There are several third-party tools that also do this, but these files are free and only 14 KB in size.

I've tried it, and it works great. It's especially useful if you've ended up in Safe Mode, and when you return to Normal Mode, because of the change in screen resolution, all of your icons have been moved. It's also handy if you want to experiment with some different screen resolutions or locations for your icons.

I should mention this tip/trick works with all versions of Windows. Yes, the files are from the Windows NT4 Resource Kit, but as long as you put the DLL file in the correct folder for your OS (which is explained on the website from the link above), and then Merge the REG file, it will work.

* Note - If all your icons are lined up in columns on the left side of your screen, that means you have Auto Arrange checked. A better way to set up your Desktop is to create groups of icons. To do this, right-click on a blank area of your Desktop, and go to Arrange Icons > Auto Arrange, and make sure it is unchecked. Now you can move your icons wherever you want. Once you have it the way you like it, you can lock it in by saving your Desktop Layout using the tip above.
See how this works for your startup. George. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users