Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Notification bubbles no longer appear

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 dekukirby

dekukirby

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 20 December 2010 - 10:43 AM

Posted Image

By notification bubbles, I mean like the one showed in the image above.

Ever since a few days ago (I didn't make any major changes), no program seems to be able to trigger them to appear.
I've tried restarting and running chkdsk to no avail. I don't think it's a virus or anything, but I have no idea how to get them back.
I rely on these a lot because I use Hamachi, which notifies you if you receive a message by making one show up.

Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 20 December 2010 - 08:07 PM

Hi -
Please run This program and post your result back -
This will verify your program - Otherwise it is an infection -

Thank you -

Edited by noknojon, 20 December 2010 - 08:11 PM.

#3 dekukirby

dekukirby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2010 - 10:53 PM

I'm sorry if I was confusing, but it's not that specific message about Windows being genuine or not that I'm not getting. It's all messages in the same format (ie. Local Area Connection 1 is connected, Run Desktop Cleaner, There are Updates for Windows) that are not showing up.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,615 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 20 December 2010 - 11:08 PM

Open registry editor.
Navigate to:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced
In right pane, you'll see EnableBalloonTips.
Make sure, its value is set to "1".

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 dekukirby

dekukirby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2010 - 12:36 AM

That entry didn't exist in my registry, so I had to make it myself. Regardless, I'm still not getting any balloon tips, even after restarting.

Is there anything else in here I can change to get them back? Here's a screenshot of that section of my registry.

Posted Image

#6 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 21 December 2010 - 12:38 AM

Registry Edits for Windows XP "Tweaks and Tips" http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

# 11 Enable/Disable Balloon Tips or Disable All
# 7 Increase Balloon Tip Display Time

#7 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 21 December 2010 - 01:14 AM

That entry didn't exist in my registry, so I had to make it myself. Regardless, I'm still not getting any balloon tips, even after restarting.

Is there anything else in here I can change to get them back? Here's a screenshot of that section of my registry.

Check your settings in WinDOZE Explorer for "Show / Hide Popup Tooltip Descriptions for Folders and Desktop Items"

In Explorer>> "Tools ">> "Folder Options" >> click the "View" tab. Underneath "Advanced settings", scroll down to "Show pop-up description for folder and desktop items" and check or uncheck the option as you desire/need.

#8 dekukirby

dekukirby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2010 - 03:08 PM

Registry Edits for Windows XP "Tweaks and Tips" http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

# 11 Enable/Disable Balloon Tips or Disable All
# 7 Increase Balloon Tip Display Time

Check your settings in WinDOZE Explorer for "Show / Hide Popup Tooltip Descriptions for Folders and Desktop Items"

In Explorer>> "Tools ">> "Folder Options" >> click the "View" tab. Underneath "Advanced settings", scroll down to "Show pop-up description for folder and desktop items" and check or uncheck the option as you desire/need.

Tried both of these to no avail.

#9 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,615 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2010 - 03:42 PM

How do you know, the bubbles are not there after the fix?
They don't pop-up all the time.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#10 dekukirby

dekukirby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2010 - 04:19 PM

As I mentioned in the first post, I use a program that makes frequent use of them to notify me that I have a message. I've been getting messages, and the balloons are simply not popping up.

And just to make sure it's not a problem with that specific program, I've been restarting my router as a test to see if I get the "Local Area Connection 1 is connected" balloon.

#11 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,615 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2010 - 04:33 PM

I use a program that makes frequent use of them to notify me that I have a message

Some email notification?
If so, that would be up to that program, not Windows.

Also, make sure, those balloons don't hide behind open windows, which sometimes may happen.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#12 dekukirby

dekukirby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2010 - 04:38 PM

No, the balloon tips for my messaging program shows up exactly like the example in the picture in my first post. They're definitely the same ones that Windows uses for its notifications.

All tests were done on my desktop just to make sure that they aren't hiding behind Firefox or something.

#13 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,615 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2010 - 04:43 PM

Is this the only issue with your computer?

Create new Windows user and see, if same thing happens.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#14 dekukirby

dekukirby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2010 - 11:14 AM

Tried it on the guest account and got the same results. This is really starting to bug me, but I don't want to have to reinstall Windows.

#15 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,615 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2010 - 12:39 PM

Unfortunately, I have no more ideas....

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users