Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Expanding my desktop

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dryhter

dryhter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 20 December 2010 - 09:51 AM

Hey everybody,

I tried to expand my desktop using two CRT monitors about a week ago and failed. I have an older computer out in the shop that I like to experiment on so as to not destroy the family computer, I crashed the old computer pretty good last week. Here is what happened . .. . .. .

I have an older computer that had been crashed and left for dead at the roadside, I was able to get it working again and has been very dependable for the last six months. Posted Image The eMachine T3302 is not a bad little machine considering it was never even close to high end,

Here are some specs.,

Operating System
MS Windows XP Home 32-bit SP3
Installation Date: 29 November 2005, 11:54

CPU
AMD Sempron 3300+
Cores 1
Threads 1
Name AMD Sempron 3300+
Code Name Palermo
Package Socket 754
Technology 90nm
Specification AMD Sempron™ Processor 3300+
Family F
Extended Family F
Model C
Extended Model 2C
Stepping 0
Revision DH-E3
Instructions MMX (+), 3DNow! (+), SSE, SSE2, SSE3, x86-64
Bus Speed 200.1 MHz
Rated Bus Speed 800.3 MHz
Stock Core Speed 2000 MHz
Stock Bus Speed 200 MHz
Average Temperature 106 °F
Caches
L1 Data Cache Size 64 KBytes
L1 Instructions Cache Size 64 KBytes
L2 Unified Cache Size 128 KBytes
Core 0
Core Speed 2000.8 MHz
Multiplier x 10.0
Bus Speed 200.1 MHz
Rated Bus Speed 800.3 MHz
Temperature 106 °F
Thread 1
APIC ID 0

RAM Memory

Type DDR
Size 768 MBytes
Channels # Single
DRAM Frequency 200.1 MHz
CAS# Latency (CL) 3 clocks
RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD) 3 clocks
RAS# Precharge (tRP) 3 clocks
Cycle Time (tRAS) 8 clocks
Bank Cycle Time (tRС) 11 clocks
Command Rate (CR) 1T
SPD
Number Of SPD Modules 2
Slot #1
Type DDR
Size 512 MBytes
Manufacturer Infineon
Max Bandwidth PC3200 (200 MHz)
Part Number 64D64320HU5C
Serial Number 0605BE24
Week/year 53 / 05
SPD Ext. EPP
JEDEC #3
Frequency 200.0 MHz
CAS# Latency 3.0
RAS# To CAS# 3
RAS# Precharge 3
tRAS 8
Voltage 2.500 V
JEDEC #2
Frequency 166.7 MHz
CAS# Latency 2.5
RAS# To CAS# 3
RAS# Precharge 3
tRAS 7
Voltage 2.500 V
JEDEC #1
Frequency 133.3 MHz
CAS# Latency 2.0
RAS# To CAS# 2
RAS# Precharge 2
tRAS 6
Voltage 2.500 V
Slot #2
Type DDR
Size 256 MBytes
Manufacturer Nanya Technology
Max Bandwidth PC3200 (200 MHz)
Part Number NT256D64S88C0G-5T
Serial Number 00A4E409
Week/year 33 / 05
SPD Ext. EPP
JEDEC #2
Frequency 200.0 MHz
CAS# Latency 3.0
RAS# To CAS# 3
RAS# Precharge 3
tRAS 8
Voltage 2.500 V
JEDEC #1
Frequency 166.7 MHz
CAS# Latency 2.5
RAS# To CAS# 3
RAS# Precharge 3
tRAS 7
Voltage 2.500 V

Motherboard
Manufacturer First International Computer, Inc.
Model K8M-800M
Version SYS-xxxxxx
Chipset Vendor VIA
Chipset Model K8M400 (VT8380)
Chipset Revision 00
Southbridge Vendor VIA
Southbridge Model VT8237
Southbridge Revision 00
BIOS
Brand Phoenix Technologies, LTD
Version 6.00 PG
Date 07/26/2005

Graphics
Monitor
Name 17f3 on VIA/S3G UniChrome Pro IGP
Current Resolution 1280x800 pixels
Work Resolution 1280x740 pixels
State enabled, primary, output devices support
Monitor Width 1280
Monitor Height 800
Monitor Bpp 32 bits per pixel
Monitor Frequency 75 Hz
Device \\.\DISPLAY1\Monitor0
VIA/S3G UniChrome Pro IGP
Memory 64 MB
Memory type 2
Driver version 6.14.10.0214-16.94.42.17

I wanted to expand my desktop using two CRTs and a graphics card out of an older Dell machine. The graphics card is a nVidia TP601-model P73 rev.A01 it fit in the AGP slot and I thought maybe this just might work,( couldn't find out to much about this card).
Posted Image

So I put the card in place and hooked up the two CRTs and the computer turned on and both screens stayed off, I had to remove the other card to get the single monitor to come back on. So.. . . .. I did a little RE-searching on the www. and found that it might be possible, maybe even should be possible and so I proceeded to upgrade drivers for the on board card, the motherboard, the BIOS and anything else that I could upgrade. The old gal did not appreciate all the tinkering with her innereds and protested a little bit, but I persevered, tweaking this, tweaking that, turning things on, disabling others. She finally told me she had had enough and needed to shut down, I agreed, we were both exhausted.

The computer and I are back on speaking terms, I had to do a system restore and ran chkdsk /r a couple of times, it has been a week now without any problems, no BSODs, not even any hiccups, so I figure it is time to try again, this time in a little more orderly fashion.

So here is the question:
Can I expand my desktop, using two CRTs, the on board graphics and the nvidia graphics card? Can windows be tweaked to accept this configuration? How? I am pretty sure I can do this if I were to get a new graphics card with connections for two devices and then disable the on board graphics, but this is a garbaged picked computer so buying a new graphics card is not going to happen and part of this whole exercise is to try and work with in the parameters of what you have on hand to try and do what needs to be done.

Thanks everyone,and have a
MERRY CHRISTMAS

Edited by dryhter, 20 December 2010 - 10:38 AM.

...................................................................................................................................
Thanks,
Chips and shavings,
Dave

See you at,
http://underconstructionlive.com/
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 20 December 2010 - 11:42 AM

Afraid not.

You have two problems. First, it isn't possible to keep the onboard video operating when you have a videocard in the AGP slot.

Problem 2: XP does not play well with two videocards. WIN7 is the first Microsoft OS that allows two differing videocards to run at the same time without tearing your hair out.

Now, all bets are off if you had an old PCI videocard, and decided to run WIN7, but that is a lot of cost and trouble, but something I would try just for the heck of it to see if it was possible. It would be easier/cheaper to grab a cheap dual head videocard that has built in dual monitor support in both hardware and drivers.

Edited by dpunisher, 20 December 2010 - 11:44 AM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 dryhter

dryhter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2010 - 07:32 AM

Thanks, That's what I was afraid of
...................................................................................................................................
Thanks,
Chips and shavings,
Dave

See you at,
Posted Image

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 21 December 2010 - 08:29 AM

Actually the usual cause of the problem is either the AGP specification or badly written drivers, rather than Windows itself, which has long been happy enough to use multiple video cards. If the onboard video sits on the AGP bus, you typically can't have it and an AGP card operate together. The AGP specification doesn't cater for more than one AGP video port (the updated specification that did was abandoned in favor of PCIe), and expects secondary, tertiary or beyond to be PCI cards. If AGP and PCI multiples don't work together, then it's likely a driver issue, but I've had it work OK with XP, 2000 and 98SE.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 21 December 2010 - 09:01 AM

ya, platypus is right-it depends on the motherboard limitations. Ive used both onboard and a AGP card at the same time, it all depends on the hardware involved. On top of that, with the video card you got the difficulty you have is it only has one VGA port-the other you need an adaptor for, and a driver that will work with it, thats probably whats hanging you up running both monitors off that card. Youd be better off purchasing a cheapo card somewhere with dual VGA/dvi ports.

Edited by the_patriot09, 21 December 2010 - 09:02 AM.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#6 dryhter

dryhter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2010 - 10:35 AM

Not trying to :deadhorse: just trying to understand and learn and I understand that the easy way is to just go and get a new graphics card that supports two CRT monitors, but it sounds like that maybe there is a chance that I might still be able to work around that and use what I have. I went to my motherboard site HERE and checked out my model/series K8M-800m , ver.1.0, 754 socket Motherboard and after exploring a little bit I found that there is a ver.1.27 HERE ,There does not seem to be a auto-update button, so should I navigate to the device drivers and try to update there or just download the zip files to my computer and somehow try and do it from there???? I hesitate because when I first started this I updated lots of things and the computer did not like it. I am thinking that maybe I should be a little more conservative in my approach this time.

Posted Image

Edited by dryhter, 22 December 2010 - 12:04 PM.

Thanks,
Chips and shavings,
Dave

See you at,
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users