Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVI-I to HDMI cabling

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 maki2012

maki2012

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 20 December 2010 - 09:23 AM

I'm trying to hook up my computer (Radeon HD 4830, 2xDVI-I ports) to my TV that I just got (Sharp Aquos 52", but I don't know the specific model). I need a fairly long cable, around 15 to 20 feet. Unfortunately, I can't find any cabling that is both long and DVI-I (they all seem to be DVI-D). I've searched Newegg and Amazon, but with no results. Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,696 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 21 December 2010 - 06:39 AM

The DVI-I port has both digital and analog present, so that if necessary a VGA adapter can provide an analog signal to a VGA monitor. The analog is not required for the HDMI connection to the TV, so the DVI-D cable which carries the digital without the unused analog signal is what it needs to be.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 maki2012

maki2012
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 21 December 2010 - 07:23 AM

Thanks for the reply, but I measured the distance and going strait across the room (blocking one exit) it was about 25 ft. Hanging the wire above the frame of the door would have added a few extra feet. I decided to buy a 10 ft cable and move my pc around. I got the cheapest cable and hoped it would work, so thanks for the confirmation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users