Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Inspiron 1720 no POST

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 setasdefault

setasdefault

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 19 December 2010 - 11:58 PM

Hey guys,
My Inspiron 1720 froze today, and I had to hold down the power button to shut it down. Now it won't start - no post, no power to the LCD. I do get a power LED, and the HDD and WiFi LEDs come on for a second. Anyway, I just get blank screen and fans. Any suggestions?
Thanks.
EDIT: Today it booted like normal. Last night I reseated the RAM, HDD, and CMOS battery, but that didn't help. I'm not sure why it worked today.

Edited by setasdefault, 20 December 2010 - 07:49 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2010 - 12:42 PM

Hello your edit to your post is a tad bit confusing, are you still having issues with this computer or has it been resolved?

If it has not been resolved, can you lend a little detail about what exactly is happening and what you were doing when the problem first started happening.

Details go a long ways in helping someone to diagnose a problem and offer a suitable solution.

Thanks in advance.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 setasdefault

setasdefault
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2010 - 08:35 PM

Hi Bruce,
Sorry for the lack of detail. I was browsing the web last night and my computer locked up and I was forced to turn it off by holding the power button down. When it would not turn on again, I did a bit of troubleshooting like trying it on battery or ac separately, and reseating some components. I gave up and went to bed and left it unplugged and without the battery in. This morning I plugged it back in and it booted normally. So it's resolved in that the machine turned back on, but I can't explain what happened last night and I am suspicious that this will happen again, so I'd like to know if theres a faulty component to blame. I suspect the GPU because I saw some artifacts when the computer froze last night.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2010 - 01:42 PM

Well as you said, the problem for now has been resolved.

As for artifacts in the video, this can be caused by a driver error, which can sometimes be cleared up with a simple restart.

If your video card is an add-on card, it could be that the card needs to be re-seated in the slot, to disturb oxidation build-up on the connectors.

If the computer is running fine now, I would just write it off as an error that happened, but may not happen again.

The old saying of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" applies here.

If this problem happens again and is persistent the next time around, then I would suggest attempting to fix the issue.

Every now and then, every computer will hic-cup or burp and cause a random error to happen, usually a restart fixes the issue.

It is when a problem repeats its self that it is time to worry and attempt to locate and fix the problem.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users