Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Norton Product Tamper Protection

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bjm_

bjm_

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 19 December 2010 - 06:01 PM

Hello Topic
Running NIS11 and no prob Disable Real Time via rt.click ICON....Disable AutoProtect, Disable Smart Firewall, and for good measure Turn On Silent Mode. My query is about Norton Product Tamper Protection. Does Norton Product Tamper Protection need to be OFF... Does Norton Product Tamper Protection need to be disabled as part of Temporarily Disable Your Anti-virus, Firewall And Anti-malware Programs.
Posted same question back in June....no answer. So, I'm trying again.
Thanks
bjm_

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 20 December 2010 - 10:45 AM

Norton Product Tamper Protection (included in Norton 2006 and later products) is a security feature enabled by default that prevents outside programs (unknown, suspicious, or threatening applications) from making changes to the Norton software. NPTP protects NAV processes so other processes cannot access them (inject code or modify thread execution), it doesn't matter that current user has permission on them he won't be able to access Norton Anti-virus processes. This security feature can prevent Windows System Restore from changing Norton files, resulting in a "Restoration Incomplete" message and you may need to Temporarily turn off Norton Product Tamper Protection.

Disabling your anti-virus programs is sometimes necessary when using specialized tools in order to ensure they do not interfere with the fixes they are designed to perform. It is also necessary to prevent the detection of those tools as a threat by the anti-virus which may attempt to remove them. If you are following instructions to disable a Norton product in order to receive assistance with malware removal, it would not hurt to disable this feature as well. Most security fix tools do not modify an anti-virus program but this feature may detect certain actions by the fix tool as suspicious and prevent it from working properly.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 bjm_

bjm_
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 20 December 2010 - 05:27 PM

Norton Product Tamper Protection (included in Norton 2006 and later products) is a security feature enabled by default that prevents outside programs (unknown, suspicious, or threatening applications) from making changes to the Norton software. NPTP protects NAV processes so other processes cannot access them (inject code or modify thread execution), it doesn't matter that current user has permission on them he won't be able to access Norton Anti-virus processes. This security feature can prevent Windows System Restore from changing Norton files, resulting in a "Restoration Incomplete" message and you may need to Temporarily turn off Norton Product Tamper Protection.

Disabling your anti-virus programs is sometimes necessary when using specialized tools in order to ensure they do not interfere with the fixes they are designed to perform. It is also necessary to prevent the detection of those tools as a threat by the anti-virus which may attempt to remove them. If you are following instructions to disable a Norton product in order to receive assistance with malware removal, it would not hurt to disable this feature as well. Most security fix tools do not modify an anti-virus program but this feature may detect certain actions by the fix tool as suspicious and prevent it from working properly.

Thank you for your time and interest..
I understand NPTP purpose and System Restore requirement to disable NPTP. At the time of my Malware Topic. I did question the behavior/results of the fix tools. I've been curious ever since. Thank you again. I hope never to need Bleeping again but, if I do. I will disable NPTP along with anti-virus as required.
Much thanks
bjm_

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 20 December 2010 - 05:35 PM

You're welcome. Safe surfing and have a malware free day.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users