Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Running multiple "spyware" programs

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 unix110011

unix110011

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 19 December 2010 - 08:07 PM

Hello everyone. Happy holidays.

I was curious to know if anyone could answer my question about running multiple spyware programs alongside my usual anti virus.

I am running an eMachines Windows 7 64-bit home premium with 4 gigs of ram. Its a pretty nice rig for the money and it does what i need rather quickly.

I am run comodo firewall and avast anti virus. They have served me well. I stay away from sites that might be bad for my machine and i dont open many email attachments, especially if i dont know who you are.

Anyway.....is it alright to run my firewall, avast AV, and maybe 1 or 2 other spyway programs, not anti virus program, as well? Or should I just fire up each program i have in my arsenal one by one? What do you guys do? Thanks!!

Edit: Moved topic from Win 7 to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 damnyank

damnyank

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 19 December 2010 - 08:25 PM

I am an oldie, but (hopefully) a goodie!

I have always been of the school that one AV and one Firewall is the way to go. I am also of the school that says only one real-time program running at a time. So more than one "on-demand scanner" is fine and as far as I am concerned is encouraged - although there are some who may disagree with me.

Edited by damnyank, 19 December 2010 - 08:27 PM.

#3 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 19 December 2010 - 10:04 PM

You can have as many antispyware programs as you want, but you shouldn't be running more than one in real time.
In real time: 1 AV, 1 firewall, 1 antispyware.
If you're more computer savvy and you play it safe, AV + firewall in real time should be enough.
Then, scan the computer once in a while with MBAM, or Superantispyware.
That's what I do.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 19 December 2010 - 10:05 PM

AS mentioned above you can run your Comodo AV/firewall. One or 2 spyware tools,like Malwarebtyes and Superanispyware on demand.
One real time AV tho, One software firewall and one hardware firewall (the Router).
If needed you can also run an Online scan. there is a list here
Free Online Virus/Trojan/Spyware Scanners L@@K
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users