Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Media Center PC Fan is running Constantly

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mkewavefan97

mkewavefan97

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 19 December 2010 - 07:53 PM

I own the HP Media Center PC m8120n and I had this computer for three years, good computer for hard drive sized, reliability, etc. but there is just one problem I have with it, the fan won't STOP running. It used to be couple of months ago where it would run for a little bit and then stop, but not it is running constantly and now it is driving my family crazy. I am thinking that it is probably a problem with either the heat sync or the fact that there is a substantial amount of dust inside the computer itself. Additional information about the product is below.

HP Media Center PC
Model Number: m8120n
Product Number: GC 674AA

Any answer to help fix this annoying problem would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 trashcan7

trashcan7

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 19 December 2010 - 07:56 PM

If you want to see if the problems are heat-related, then use software to see what the temperature is.
Some software are:
HWMonitor
Speed Fan

If the temperatures seem high, then it might be good to clean out your computer.

Edited by trashcan7, 19 December 2010 - 07:57 PM.

#3 rossout

rossout

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 20 December 2010 - 08:18 PM

Hi take the fan off the cpu inside the case and see if the heatsink is clogged up with dust this will stop the fan cooling the cpu and make it run at constant speed, if its full of dust and clogged up you can remove it and clean it out, get some thermal paste and make sure you clean the old paste off first before reasitng, i have just vacumed the heatsink out before now but its not a good idea unless you have esd hoover attachment to avoid static discharge from the hoover hose to the system.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users