Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Process I should go through for reformatting my hard drive?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 C.Kyuubi

C.Kyuubi

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 19 December 2010 - 04:09 PM

Well, malware's taken over. I want to be absolutely sure I'm rid of it, so I'm wiping the drive and starting again. How should I go about reformatting? I've already copied important files to a CD-R.

-Should I run CCleaner to overwrite the entire drive before formatting?
-I'm using Vista Home Basic now, but I have access to an XP disk too. Which operating system should I put back on? (I guess it's up to preference, but if a few benefits of each could be given...? I know this is a question in and of itself.)
-What are the actual steps you need to do to reformat?
-Any other suggestions before I attempt this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 19 December 2010 - 07:36 PM

1. You don't have to run CCleaner before formatting.
2. Well i reckon you should install XP because it is more stable then Vista.
3. Guide
4. Change the boot sequence to CD/DVD first.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2010 - 08:48 PM

Back-up any data you want saved. Music, pics, documents.

Make sure your machine has driver support for XP if you decide to change.

#4 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 21 December 2010 - 04:46 PM

Well i reckon you should install XP because it is more stable then Vista.

,nah ,that was before sp2, we have two very stable vista laptops in the house ,1 1/2 and 2 1/2 yrs old and have never had a probable with them ,never had to reload either one or do anything to them actually, and they are on and used for hrs every day 7 days a week ,
as long as the computer was built for Vista it should be fine

sort of off topic ,just an opinion ,

Edited by caperjac, 21 December 2010 - 04:47 PM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#5 eastonch

eastonch

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 21 December 2010 - 06:03 PM

1. You don't have to run CCleaner before formatting.
2. Well i reckon you should install XP because it is more stable then Vista.
3. Guide
4. Change the boot sequence to CD/DVD first.

[Added By Eastonch] Downoad Ubuntu [here] & burn to disk using something like poweriso or ultraiso, might be best to do this on a friends pc or other pc.
[Added by Eastonch] Boot from the burned disk and insert a portable hard ddrive, go into "system - > places" and find your file system of the pc hard drive. Copy all your stuff to the external, this will be quick if you have a e-sata or USB2.0/3.0[ubuntu has 3.0 compat <3]
[Added by Eastonch] After doing all this, shut it down adn take the disk out, Follow the Guide and reformat with XP, Vista basic is horrid, sorry vista users ;)

Enjoy. :-)

#6 C.Kyuubi

C.Kyuubi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2010 - 07:33 PM

Thanks for the replies! The drive has been reformatted and everything is up and working well again. :) I already had all my files backed up using Puppy Linux. Great OS for recovery, there.

As for the Vista/XP war, well...I considered both of them, and also Ubuntu, and I finally decided to go with...all three of them. That's right, I've got my drive partitioned and I'm setting up for a multi-boot computer! 'Might as well make the best of the situation since I had to restart from scratch anyway. :P It's not like I don't already have 250GB to spend. So thanks for the help. I better be more careful next time...

(And while reinstalling my applications, I find an Artemis! trojan variant in one of the GIMP plug-ins! Yeesh! It's a good thing it got picked up and blocked immediately...)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users