Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

struggling to decide ssd vs hdd

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 scottbryan724

scottbryan724

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 19 December 2010 - 03:14 PM

im going to be building my first pc soon its going to be an i7-950 machine

i keep going back and forth on what to do about my main windows drive ssd or hdd..i know the benefits of ssd but what worries me is the lifespan issue

i know that if i do ssd i shouldnt have anything but windows and apps on it my documents will go to another drive and any downloads and what not as well but it still concerns me the lifespan of it

plus dont know to much about how to use it right..i know there a tweak utility out there dont know if its the same one everyone pretty much uses or what..and if it automatically does things or i have to manually do it..if im correct if the drive has trim then in windows 7 certain settings should be fine

then i see some people saying to change in your bios to go into AHCInot sure exactly what this means either but ive seen conflicting comments about doing things

also another thing that concerns me is i would like to back up my windows driver regularly into an image file most likely with acronis..will i be able to back it up to a hard drive fine and possibly restore it to a hard drive if my ssd does fail

if people could answer my questions and help me set my mind at ease and pick a drive type it would be greatly appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 21 December 2010 - 02:21 PM

SSD drives have come a long ways over the years since they first appeared on the market.

These drives do last longer than the drives which have mechanical moving parts and motors.

There are no heads to wear out, no platters to damage from the random head crashes that take place in disk drives.

If you're in the market for an SSD drive, I would spend some time on the web reviewing the customer reviews on any drive you have in mind.

Check their pros and cons about the device.

This is actually the best way to shop for a reliable product and be happy with what you end up with.

I also want to add here, doing research on the web about a product does not always accurately describe the drives abilities or non-abilities.

Sometimes people spend more time posting a product review when they are un-happy with it then they do when they are happy with it.

Some products I have that have worked flawlessly for me, I see on the web as a problem product.
Most of the reviews are from customers who do not have enough sense to read the owners manual first. :whistle: Or just do not know what the hell they are doing in the first place and call the product the worst piece of crap they wasted their money on! <_<

So be open minded when reading customer reviews, because in this case, the customer may NOT always be right. :wink:

When you narrow your search down to a few drives you have in mind, post back some links to them and we'll offer some suggestions on the ones you have in mind.

Kind regards.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 acheleg

acheleg

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 24 December 2010 - 04:53 PM

it is true that solid state drives do not suffer from mechanical failure when jarred or dropped, but they definitely DO have a limit to overwrites on eacvh sector. win7's TRIM feature will help with this issue, as well as moving temp folders, document folders, backup/restore folders, the hiberfil file and the virtual ram cache (page file) to a second, rotary hard drive. all hard drives do eventually fai, but, with solid state drives, there are steps you can take to extend the life; whereas, with a rotary drive, you never know when its goiing to fail. the point is ALWAYS back up your data, and/or ghost the hard drive often.

intel makes the fastest solid state drives, as far as i can tell.

all solid state drives slow down as they fill up with data. you can only get maximum speed out of a ssd when it is almost empty, and will see it slow down to near rotart hard drive speeds when it is close to full, so be sure to get a drive much bigger than the amount of data which will be stored on it. do NOT get a 20 gig drive for booting your OS, expect to use 20-30 gigs in your win7 install, but go for the 80 gig intel ssd so you have overhead.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users